Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UnInstall and ReInstall Take Cmnd v11.0

Aug
For reasons not worth delving into, I want to Uninstall and then Reinstall Take Command v11.0, and I have a question about both steps. This has nothing with upgrading to v12.0, which I have no intention of doing.

I couldn't find any Uninstall information in "Help", and there's no 'uninstall.exe' in "C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD11", so I guess I'm left with only the Control Panel "Add/Remove Programs" tool. Said tool is notorious for not uninstalling everything. Besides the Program Files' "JPSoft" directory, the only other one I could find is "C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data\JPSoft", so I'll check it after the Uninstall. I was recently introduced to the UniBlue RegistryBooster 2011 Registry clean-up application that I'll use after the Uninstall. My question is whether there are any other areas I need to check to ensure complete removal of Take Command v11.0?

When I Reinstall, I intend to use the original "tcmdle.exe Version 11.0.49" file I downloaded when I installed v11.0 the first time. There's also a "tcmdle11.exe Version 11.0.52" in "ftp://jpsoft.com/oldver" which I'll not use unless advised otherwise. My question is whether there will be a registration problem when I when I try to use my original "Take Command Key" after the reinstall. The reinstall will be on the same computer, but I want to resolve any installation or registration problems before I'm faced with a turn-around delay in forum support later.

I couldn't find any Uninstall information in "Help", and there's no 'uninstall.exe' in "C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD11", so I guess I'm left with only the Control Panel "Add/Remove Programs" tool. Said tool is notorious for not uninstalling everything.
"Add/Remove Programs" uses whatever uninstall information that the company that produces the program to be uninstalled has supplied. If that information is incomplete, blame that software company, not Microsoft.

Besides the Program Files' "JPSoft" directory, the only other one I could find is "C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data\JPSoft", so I'll check it after the Uninstall. I was recently introduced to the UniBlue RegistryBooster 2011 Registry clean-up application that I'll use after the Uninstall. My question is whether there are any other areas I need to check to ensure complete removal of Take Command v11.0?
On my system (running TCC 10.0.78 on Windows 7) I have found the following:
  • C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\JPSoft
  • C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\JP Software
As for settings in Windows Registry, I have found the following:
  • the uninstall information entry in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall (using a search for jpsoft).
  • The entry TCCTab (adds "TCC Tab window here" in Windows Explorer) in HKCR\Directory\shell and in HKCR\Drive\Shell (using a search for TCC).
  • And there is a JP Software key in the HKUS tree (using search for TCMD). This seems to be the place the installation key information is stored.

My question is whether there will be a registration problem when I when I try to use my original "Take Command Key" after the reinstall. The reinstall will be on the same computer, but I want to resolve any installation or registration problems before I'm faced with a turn-around delay in forum support later.
To the best of my knowledge, that should not be a problem.

There is no uninstaller.exe; Take Command uses the Windows Installer, so all uninstalls are done through the Control Panel.

Uninstalling Take Command does not delete your TCMD.INI, your configuration settings in the registry (window sizes & position), or your registration. This is deliberate, as it allows you to modify or uninstall/reinstall without having to recreate your configuration or reenter your key.

First, let me say that I AM IMPRESSED! You painstakingly implemented what surely must have been challenging and very difficult programming techniques to design your Take Command installation in such a way that obviates the need for an "uninstall.exe". Rather, letting the Control Panel Add/Remove tool remove all of Take Command - EXCEPT for the few configuration files and sprinkling of Registry entries which you said are DELIBERATELY left as a convenience/courtesy to the customer. That's beyond just courtesy, that's Customer Consciousness at a level I've never encountered before. I'm serious. You don't need to bribe people for testimonials - just let the world know about that single act of laudable professionalism and people will buy a TC license just to express appreciation for your dedication to responsible Application Development. There's nothing worse than a company venting deceitful vengeance on a hapless ex-customer by leaving trash strewn throughout his/her computer. Ebbe's comment inferred similar experience with and disdain for that practice. Your approach is like a 30-day, no questions-asked return policy for a physical article or ensemble that is essentially "installed" into a person's life. The difference is that for Software there is an understood and accepted "Industry Standard" that the license fee is non-refundable. Regrettably, your install/uninstall approach is not also an "Industry Standard". When we are done with this, I will write a true Testimonial, and I'll post it on my Website. For that matter, you might want to highlight this on your Website to quell the apprehensions of curious browsing passers-by who would otherwise be scared off by the obvious complexity and power of TC.

Okay, now my reason for this update (refined after the enlightenments of your last update). After I remove the "98%" or so of TC using the Control Panel Add/Remove tool and my newly acquired UniBlue RegistryBooster 2011 (a Registry cleaner), and then remove or save off the remaining "2%" from my hard-drive and Registry, I'll have essentially a pre-TC computer (with respect to JPSoft products). That is my first goal - to have a completely TC-free computer. My second goal is to successfully re-install TC v11.0. I still have the original downloaded TC v11.0 installation file and the Key that I received when I purchased the v11.0 license last year. My question is, will there be any registration problem when I perform a second TC installation with that same file and the same Key? Now days, an invariable installation act is to report the installation and the Key to the application's company to prevent multiple installations with the same Key. I expect and prefer this happening with the TC installation. As I said in my initial forum-thread, I want to address and resolve any installation and registration issues before I have to deal with them in the arena of forum turn-around delays.

My question is, will there be any registration problem when I perform a second TC installation with that same file and the same Key?

No. Though once you remove your registration key, your new installation will come up as an expired trial copy -- so you'll need to enter the registration info when you get that dialog. (The trial info is kept elsewhere; otherwise somebody could use a trial copy forever just by uninstalling & reinstalling it.)

But there isn't any reason to remove the existing registration info -- the new installation will automatically use it.

Back