Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Upgrading from 4NT to TCC/LE

Sep
I am still using 4NT ver 4.00a. If I upgrade to TCC/LE, am I likely to encounter any problems with my existing batch files using 4NT command language?

Thanks!

Guy

Guy Scharf wrote:

> I am still using 4NT ver 4.00a. If I upgrade to TCC/LE, am I likely to
> encounter any problems with my existing batch files using 4NT command
> language?

TCC/LE is intended for people switching from CMD, not 4NT. It is
missing some of the commands, variables, and functions in the full TCC
-- whether that will affect you will depend on what you're using in your
existing batch files.

The help file for TCC and TCC/LE has a section detailing the differences.

Rex Conn
JP Software

Guy Scharf wrote:

existing batch files.

Rex Conn
JP Software

Hi:

one notable change is the way how TCC parses parameters: It replaces "=" with a blank! I wonder if this is intention or a bug? For example

batcommand_with_java -Dsun.java2d.opengl=true package.myclass

yields error "class 'true' not found" because with TCC/LE -Dname and the true are separate parameters in this script. We can circumvent it by using quotes.

Thomas

one notable change is the way how TCC parses parameters: It replaces "=" with a blank! I wonder if this is intention or a bug?

Intentional, to match the behavior of current CMD.EXE. (It's not just TCC/LE; the full [paid] Take Command does the same thing.)

I see, indeed, stunning!
Any way to suppress it, or the quotes are now mandatory?

I'm not aware of any way to disable it. (A configuration option to revert to the prior behavior might make a nice addition to some future version of TCC, though!)

Intentional, to match the behavior of current CMD.EXE. (It's not just TCC/LE; the full [paid] Take Command does the same thing.)

I tried TCC/LE (coming from 4NT7), and the standard batch file from the Maven project (mvn.bat) has stopped working if you call it with something like "-DsomeArg=someValue".

mvn.bat contains code that checks for 4NT using the famous @eval[2+2] function, and then uses %$ to pass all arguments to java.exe, instead of using %* for cmd.exe

In TCC/LE, %$ no longer works if you pass arguments containing an equal sign.
In cmd.exe, %* returns the unaltered arguments including the equal sign, but in TCC/LE the %$ removes all equal signs.

It might be intentional, but it is neither compatible with 4NT nor with cmd.

I have:
* cmd 5.1.2600
* 4NT 7,01.364
* TCC LE 9,02.152

Best regards - Norman

Rex Conn wrote:
existing batch files.

Rex Conn
JP Software
I have been happily using 4NT 3.02B (paid version via CD Suite R5) for many years. I'm obviously way overdue for an update, but wondering whether my existing meticulously and beautifully hand-crafted BTM scripts will break.

Is there a way to see the differences between TCC and TCC/LE without having to install one first?

rlw wrote:

> ---Quote (Originally by rconn)---
> I have been happily using 4NT 3.02B (paid version via CD Suite R5) for many years. I'm obviously way overdue for an update, but wondering whether my existing meticulously and beautifully hand-crafted BTM scripts will break.
>
> Is there a way to see the differences between TCC and TCC/LE without having to install one first?

Yes, the help file has a section on the differences. You can view it on
our web site at http://jpsoft.com/help/index.htm. Click on the
"Comparing TCC and TCC/LE" topic.

Note that JP Software does not provide any support for TCC/LE.