Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Virus in latest update?

Aug
My company installs the Trend Micro OfficeScan virus checker on all their machines. When I tried to install the latest upgrade for TakeCommand x64 (v14.03.53) OfficeScan interrupted the process part-way through. Basically it deleted the new tcmd.exe file as soon as it was created claiming that the file contains malware called Cryp_Xed-16.

I tried the reinstall several times and had the same results each time. I don't really trust OfficeScan not to be coming up with a false positive, but I can't turn it off, so I had to fall back to v14.00.29 because that is the most recent download I have.

This all leads me to two questions:

1) Are you certain that the latest distribution is really clean?

2) Is there anywhere I can download a slightly earlier build?

Thanks!

--Robert D Quinlan

Considering v14.03.53 was released on 12/11/12 and no one else has reported this, and all other virus scanners are in agreement, I'd say it's a false detection.

VirusTotal

And Trend Micro says it's a "heuristic detection", which is merely a suspicion. Gotta love those!

AfterDawn purports to have build 52 here, or there are other versions in the "All versions" tab.

Take Command (64-bit)

Considering v14.03.53 was released on 12/11/12 and no one else has reported this, and all other virus scanners are in agreement, I'd say it's a false detection.

That's what I figured, but I hadn't realized the update had been out that long. I wish the feature to automatically check for new versions was still available.

I did check the all versions and old versions pages, but it looks like there are no previous builds of the current version anywhere in there. Just older versions like v13.

Many thanks for pointing me to the site that has build 52!

My company installs the Trend Micro OfficeScan virus checker on all their machines. When I tried to install the latest upgrade for TakeCommand x64 (v14.03.53) OfficeScan interrupted the process part-way through. Basically it deleted the new tcmd.exe file as soon as it was created claiming that the file contains malware called Cryp_Xed-16.

It's definitely a false positive. It's even more curious because Trend Micro has a multisystem license for Take Command, so you'd think they would recognize it! :banghead: