Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

3rd party editors

For most editors, I just go into the configuration and map .BTM to be the same as .BAT. There are some slight differences, but 90% of the keywords are covered.
Thanks for replying to my post, but the real question from me was which section of this message Forum is the place to ask about configuration files for other programming editors. I want to post my questions in the right location.

Thanks for replying to my post, but the real question from me was which section of this message Forum is the place to ask about configuration files for other programming editors. I want to post my questions in the right location.

I would suggest the Open Forum. But as long as it's even vaguely Take Command-related, nobody's going to get huffy with you for posting here.

My all time favourite, since 1985, remains Kedit. Just as I started with 4DOS on DOS, which became 4OS/2 on OS/2, then 4NT and finally Take Command on Windows, so has Kedit gone from a DOS version to Kedit/2 on OS/2, and finally Kedit for Windows today.

Just as I have BTM scripts written as far back as 1999, I have KEX macro files dating back to 1992. If it works, don't fix it.
I followed a similar route Bill, although I only switched to IBM compatibles in 1994 (having run an Atari ST for many years prior to switching to PC in order to be able to play Access Software's Links golf game!?) and went straight to OS/2 and thus mostly bypassed Kedit for DOS. I have KEX macros dating back to 1994 and have never been able to find an editor that fully replaced the features of Kedit, let alone the forty years of ingrained command knowledge and muscle memory. I do occasionally use Notepad++ or Pulsar (the open source successor to Atom) especially for UTF-8 files but I find both lacking in key areas.

Beginning in the days of 8-bit computers running CP/M, I used MATE (Mike Aronson's Text Editor), which I believe was modeled on the TECO editor for DEC computers. Later, MATE migrated to MS-DOS as PMATE (the Phoenix Software version, hence the 'P' prefix), and for a while it continued to work under the Windows command processor. Bridger Mitchell even created a version (ZMATE) to run under the Z-System enhancement to CP/M. I still miss MATE because it was extremely quick and easy to create single-use macros (as well as saved macro programs).

Once MATE could not be used (I wasn't smart enough to install a DOS emulator), I reluctantly switched to VEDIT, which had also existed for CP/M. VEDIT was migrated to DOS and to Windows, and still works. However, its C-like macro language is too verbose and cumbersome to use for quick macros. I use it mainly for manual text editing and only occasionally for some standard text processing tasks implemented by stored macro programs.

The 64-bit Personal Editor 64 is still available for use on Windows 10.

Just like the IBM original, but updated for 64-bit Windows 10.

Joe

Back