Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

3rd party editors

Apr
I thought it might be nice to have a thread about what 3rd party editors TCMD/TCC users use. I'll start off with the one I use:

- Multi-Edit 2008

I use VEDIT. I used to use PMATE, which was by far my favorite text editor, but the author did not continue to support it, and it stopped working properly under newer versions of Windows.

TSEPro 4.2 - old, hasn't been updated in a long time, but works without issue under Windows 7. Incredibly powerful, which is why I use it. Completely oblivious to Unicode... which does come in handy for some stuff. When I need to do Unicode stuff, I use BabelPad (a rather limited editor, but handles Unicode better than every single other editor out there).

SPFLite which is a clone of the IBM mainframe editor that I had used for many years when I was a systems programmer.

On MS Windows, TextPad and (mostly to handle Unicode) UltraEdit. I need to run many simultaneous program instances with many overlapping document windows in each. Both of these editors support that way of working.

Lugaru's Epsilon: http://www.lugaru.com/. Powerful. Customizable. Starts quickly from the command line. Versions for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, OS/2, and DOS. Excellent support. There is a user-supplied btm mode, but it hasn't been updated in a while.

EditPad Pro 7 - The best editor I've found so far (big brother of EditPad Lite).
It has syntax highlighters for alot of languages, and if it doesn't have yours then you can easily construct it yourself as long as you understand
how to create regexes (if someone hasn't already published a scheme for the langage you need).
Same/similar regex engine as PowerGrep is used for search/replace. It doesn't seem to have multicaret/edit/select.
Eventual bugs and such seems to get fixed rather promptly.

UltraEdit, Boxer, SciTE and NoteTab Pro - Quite useful for different reasons, but not for syntax highlighting (although SciTE has a somewhat decent one).

Last edited:
In order...
Sublime Text
EmEditor
Editpad Pro
Notepad ++
PSPad
GVim

Back