Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Beta help

May
... There are over 300 new features in Take Command and TCC; see the "What's New" section of the help for details.
Is there any way to view the "What's New" without actually installing the beta?

Hi Rex,

is there any chance, that my proposal (same) for versions 11 and 12 can still make it into version 12?

I was really hoping that version 12 would give me this long expected feature...

nickles

Hi Rex,

In TCC:

ACTIVATE "TCC #2" icon=c:\windows\resources\icons\tcc_blu.ico does not update the icon in the window list (@[TAB]) as 4console.dll does.

ACTIVATE "TCC #2" icon=c:\windows\resources\icons\tcc_blu.ico top
does not change the icon at all/resets it.

ACTIVATE "TCC #2" top icon=c:\windows\resources\icons\tcc_blu.ico gives the following error message:
=> Usage : ACTIVATE "window" [/R BOTTO...

nickles

Hi Rex,

In TCC:

ACTIVATE "TCC #2" icon=c:\windows\resources\icons\tcc_blu.ico does not update the icon in the window list (@[TAB]) as 4console.dll does.

ACTIVATE "TCC #2" icon=c:\windows\resources\icons\tcc_blu.ico top does not change the icon at all/resets it.

ACTIVATE "TCC #2" top icon=c:\windows\resources\icons\tcc_blu.ico gives the following error message:
=> Usage : ACTIVATE "window" [/R BOTTO...

nickles

You cannot combine options in ACTIVATE.

>ACTIVATE "TCC #2" icon=c:\windows\resources\icons\tcc_blu.ico >does not update the icon in the window list (@[TAB]) as 4console.dll does.

I see that too but I don't understand it. Having found "SetConsoleIcon" in TakeCmd.dll, I suppose Rex loads that function from KERNEL32.DLL and uses it; that's exactly what 4CONSOLE's SETICON does.

Before that, it attempts to LoadImage(LR_LOADFROMFILE), first the default size, then the system small size (GetSystemMetrics), then any size.

@Rex

Thanks for your answers, however,

a) I think, it shouldn't be difficult for you to change the behavior of ACTIVATE ICON= to match that of 4console. Why do you insist on the current functionality which leaves me with different icons in the taskbar and the program list?

b) Why shouldn't I be able combine options in the ACTIVATE command (unlike in other commands)?

nickles

> a) I think, it shouldn't be difficult for you to change the behavior of
> ACTIVATE ICON= to match that of 4console. Why do you insist on the
> current functionality which leaves me with different icons in the
> taskbar and the program list?

Changing this would require *two* icons, as the one in the tab list is a
different size.

If you're already using 4console, why do you also need it in ACTIVATE?

> b) Why shouldn't I be able combine options in the ACTIVATE command
> (unlike in other commands)?

Because most of the ACTIVATE options are mutually exclusive, and it's way
too complex to try to generate documentation that explains which of the
options can be used with which other options. (ACTIVATE has behaved this
way for 15 years, since the first version of 4NT.)

Rex Conn
JP Software

Changing this would require *two* icons, as the one in the tab list is a different size.

That's very interesting! I recall now why I ask for the default size icon before the SM_CXSMICON x SM_CYSMICON one ... because the small one, when stretched, looks like crap in the Alt-Tab dialog. Now that I look closely, the default size icon, shrunk to fit the console's title bar doesn't look quite as good (but isn't bad for the TCC/TCMD icons). I'll bet I could find icons that look horrible when shrunk for a title bar.

If I wanted to use two icons, how would I specify one for the Alt-Tab dialog that is different from the one used in the title bar? SetConsoleIcon() seems to affect both.

That's very interesting! I recall now why I ask for the default size icon before the SM_CXSMICON x SM_CYSMICON one ... because the small one, when stretched, looks like crap in the Alt-Tab dialog. Now that I look closely, the default size icon, shrunk to fit the console's title bar doesn't look quite as good (but isn't bad for the TCC/TCMD icons). I'll bet I could find icons that look horrible when shrunk for a title bar.

If I wanted to use two icons, how would I specify one for the Alt-Tab dialog that is different from the one used in the title bar? SetConsoleIcon() seems to affect both.

I had that backwards. With 4CONSOLE's SETICON ... using

Code:
hIcon = (HICON) LoadImage(hMod, pResourceName, IMAGE_ICON, 0, 0, uFlag | LR_DEFAULTSIZE);
and "seticon d:\tc12\tcc.exe 1" there is absolutely no change it either the console's icon or the Alt-Tab dialog icon (I watched with a magnifying glass several times).

whereas, with

Code:
hIcon = (HICON) LoadImage(hMod, pResourceName, IMAGE_ICON, GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXSMICON), GetSystemMetrics(SM_CYSMICON), uFlag);
the Alt-Tab dialog icon becomes horribly digital looking and the console icon becomes a little fuzzier with less bright white (actually more resembling the 16x16 icon I see in the EXE with various utilities).

It would seem that the icon used in the console by default is not the 16x16 one. (My title bar height is 18 and my system icon size is 24.)

If you're already using 4console, why do you also need it in ACTIVATE?

It's just because I'm a "purist". If it comes in the box, why should I use a plugin?

But, you're right, I'll continue using Vince's plugin - it works!

nickles