Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Can't access updated plugins at ftp://lucky.syr.edu/4plugins/

Yup. 128.230.13.36 works from here. My ISP, however, tells me
Code:
~\Work> echo %@ipname[128.230.13.36]

(%?=1, %_?=0)
~\Work> echo %@ipname[128.230.13.209]
lucky.syr.edu

(%?=1, %_?=0)

Yup. 128.230.13.36 works from here. My ISP, however, tells me
Code:
~\Work> echo %@ipname[128.230.13.36]

(%?=1, %_?=0)
~\Work> echo %@ipname[128.230.13.209]
lucky.syr.edu

(%?=1, %_?=0)
As I said, it has changed in Syracuse University's DNS system. But no one has forced the new IP on lucky (yet); lucky still asks for and gets the old IP. Only problem (as you know), you can no longer look up lucky.syr.edu and get the old address. I am quite afraid that along with the new address will come the end of certain privileges that I have enjoyed since the beginning ... (1) running the FTP server, (2) running a mail server which provides mailing lists that are crucial to my department, and (3) peer-to-peer VPN and RD, on which my work relies heavily.

I wish you luck when the corporate IT folks get to you. For now, I'll put the ...36 address into my hosts file.

I wish you luck when the corporate IT folks get to you. For now, I'll put the ...36 address into my hosts file.
Having thought a bit about retirement lately, I installed the FTP server at home. My RoadRunner IP address hasn't changed in over 2 years. Just for kicks, give this a try: ftp://vefatica.net

Having thought a bit about retirement lately, I installed the FTP server at home. My RoadRunner IP address hasn't changed in over 2 years. Just for kicks, give this a try: ftp://vefatica.net

That works for me.

That works for me.
Don't count on it always being there. I haven't made the decision on retirement, and I'm not sure what the IT folks are up to (but I have a pretty good guess and it ain't pretty).

BTW I am checking these sites for plugin updates....

echo Checking vefatica.net...
echo Checking lucky.syr.edu...
echo Checking prospero.unm.edu...
echo Checking jpsoft's event11.zip...
echo Checking jpsoft's everything.zip...
echo Checking jpsoft's fedutils9.zip
echo Checking Prospero's RegTweaks.btm

Are these all of them?

Looks like Syracuse IT has fixed the DNS record.
Yes. The network folks are involved in a big project and didn't want to handle my request that long-standing privileges be continued. That's tabled at least until fall.
That works for me.
Good, and interesting. You have the IPv6 address and I didn't do anything with IPv6 to the home server.

I's also like to hear if my disabling a rule helped w_krieger.

I did something like google 'ip address' and it told me straight up.

I did access the ftp site, thanks.

Last edited: