Is the html format being looked into?

  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
#1
When I get messages now, the HTML is not being rendered as commands
but instead I see all the tags. This happens when I read my gmail with
IE 7.0.5730.13 and Chrome 0.2.149.30 and iPhone's Safari but not the
built-in iPhone email app -- that one standout renders things well.

I've seen others report this as well.

I believe this started happening when the new vBulletin code was
installed. I know it briefly went away when Rex said he undid it to
address the email posting problems.

Is this problem being looked into? I can suffer through the nigh
illegible messages for a while if I know the developers are aware of
it.

--
2008 Fridays: 4/4, 6/6, 8/8, 10/10, 12/12 and 5/9, 9/5, 7/11, 11/7.
Next year they're Saturday.
Measure wealth by the things you have for which you would not take money.
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
10,101
85
#2
Jim Cook wrote:

> When I get messages now, the HTML is not being rendered as commands
> but instead I see all the tags. This happens when I read my gmail with
> IE 7.0.5730.13 and Chrome 0.2.149.30 and iPhone's Safari but not the
> built-in iPhone email app -- that one standout renders things well.
I'm not seeing this -- can you point me to a message that you're having
trouble viewing?

Rex Conn
JP Software
 
#3
When I sent that message / complaint, I received a copy of it that
renders badly. I've since changed my forum options to be plain text,
because the awful HTML was just too hard to read.

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 5:16 PM, JP Software Forums <neil@jpsoft.com> wrote:

> Jim Cook wrote:
>
>
> When I get messages now, the HTML is not being rendered as commands
>> but instead I see all the tags. This happens when I read my gmail with
>> IE 7.0.5730.13 and Chrome 0.2.149.30 and iPhone's Safari but not the
>> built-in iPhone email app -- that one standout renders things well.
>
>
> I'm not seeing this -- can you point me to a message that you're having
> trouble viewing?
>
> Rex Conn
> JP Software
>
>
>
>
>


--
2008 Fridays: 4/4, 6/6, 8/8, 10/10, 12/12 and 5/9, 9/5, 7/11, 11/7.
Next year they're Saturday.
Measure wealth by the things you have for which you would not take money.
 
#4
>I'm not seeing this -- can you point me to a message that you're having trouble viewing?

Every one of them. I'm viewing/posting via the web right now, but every one that comes to my email box has a bunch of HTML tags in them, but the email message itself is opened up as Plain Text. Could it possibly be related to my using Outlook 2003 instead of a newer version? I don't know what triggers outlook to load a file as HTML instead of Plain Text, but that seems to be the problem.
 
#6
With email. I'm sorry I wasn't clear.

I am using Gmail through three different browsers, and once through
the iPhone's internal mail app. The three browsers are IE, Chrome, and
Safari(iPhone). All those render horribly. The iPhone internal mail
app works fine.

When I use the forum web interface, things look ok. The same messages
that are in my inbox are awful.

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 6:17 PM, JP Software Forums <neil@jpsoft.com> wrote:

> Jim Cook wrote:
>
>
> When I sent that message / complaint, I received a copy of it that
>> renders badly. I've since changed my forum options to be plain text,
>> because the awful HTML was just too hard to read.
>
>
> Are you reading messages with the web interface or email?
>
> Rex Conn
> JP Software
>
>
>
>
>


--
2008 Fridays: 4/4, 6/6, 8/8, 10/10, 12/12 and 5/9, 9/5, 7/11, 11/7.
Next year they're Saturday.
Measure wealth by the things you have for which you would not take money.
 

samintz

Scott Mintz
May 20, 2008
1,204
11
Solon, OH, USA
#7
It's not an Outlook issue. I use Lotus Notes and have the same problem. I
changed my preferences on the web site to send plain text and now I get
readable email without the tags. However, unless a sender signs his/her
name to the message, I have no idea who sent it because they *all* come
from neil@jpsoft.com.

-Scott

"JP Software Forums" <neil@jpsoft.com> wrote on 09/25/2008 08:54:23 PM:


> >I'm not seeing this -- can you point me to a message that you're
> having trouble viewing?
>
> Every one of them. I'm viewing/posting via the web right now, but
> every one that comes to my email box has a bunch of HTML tags in
> them, but the email message itself is opened up as Plain Text.
> Could it possibly be related to my using Outlook 2003 instead of a
> newer version? I don't know what triggers outlook to load a file as
> HTML instead of Plain Text, but that seems to be the problem.
>
>
>
>