1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISO8601 desideratum

Discussion in 'Plugins' started by Steve Fabian, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Steve Fabian

Charles:
    I appreciate your many plug-ins, and thank you for the effort you put into building and maintaining them.

I have one problem with the @FILESTAMP function - unlike the TCC internal features, it does not work for files accessed via FTP. This means that I need a different command to list FTP-accessed files than local files. I wonder how difficult would be for @FILESTAMP to use the TCC internal functions @filedate and @filetime to obtain the data for FTP files? This would allow the same commands / aliases to be used everywhere. I realize the limitation that UTC to true local time conversion implies; my personal choice is to gather all raw data as UTC and convert to local time uniformly (as specified in the @FILESTAMP output format parameter). I am also aware that some Posix file systems report TOD as 00:00 when a file is older than some particular time. On your own FTP site it seems to be six months, as files dated 2012-08-28 show midnight, files dated exactly six months ago today (2012-09-04) show an actual TOD. IIRC on Unix System V it was exactl a year, because the reporting format included either year or TOD in the same position due to the limitations of the hardware of 4 decades ago. Strange that some are willing to live with such limitations...

2. Charles Dye

Charles Dye Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I actually had something like that in early versions of the function. But it was ugly, ugly, ugly, and never was very reliable. I wound up removing all of that code; the results never justified the Rube Goldberg horror of the hack.

3. Steve Fabian

Alas, without such a hack one cannot get compatible localized timestamps from both local and internet files by a single invocation of PDIR. UTC offers compatiblity, but is inconvenient, and fails with most USB devices of the thumb drive type, which use FAT/VFAT file systems.

4. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

USB drives only use VFAT because the manufacturers format them for the lowest common denominator. The first thing I do with a new thumb drive is reformat it for NTFS.

5. Steve Fabian

Good advice for devices which are only used through USB ports of Windows platforms. However, I am also talking about SD cards shared with other devices, e.g., cameras. I never attempted to insert one which is NTFS formatted in my camera, because I worry the camera software could not handle it. And old CD/DVD disks.

6. fpefpe

I am not sure if its the standard, but SANDISK is using exFAT for SDXC (64g and greater) There is a MS download to support this
    on XP (just to read and write, no format) -- its on Vista and later ... It seems to be fast (no CACLS) and can be formatted with
    various cluster size and it can support files > 4g

The down size is that software like diskeeper does not know how to compress this format -