Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Licensing help, time to ante up

Feb
Since the licensing change of 12.10 I need to figure out how many licenses I need and how I can use my licenses.

I was using TC on my own computers or work computers for my own personal use. At home I have a desktop and laptop in which I regularly use TC. At work I have a desktop and two servers on which I use TC. The work desktop is mine, the servers are not. I use TC on the work desktop regularly but only occasionally on the two servers.

On top of that I have a number of VM images I use for development and testing. Those VMs run on three different machines: laptop, home desktop, and work desktop.

Sometimes while at home I VPN/RDP to the desktop, servers, and VMs at work using either my laptop or home desktop.

How many license do I need to buy?

Before you answer that question.... I also typically rebuild my machines, two or three times per year or recycle the machines periodically, upgrading if I find a good deal. I have been through three laptops in the last 2 years. My current laptop has been rebuilt three times this year already. What I am supposed to do with my license on these machines? How about just my laptop?

It would be nice to check the number of available activations or to deactivate a license when I intend to rebuild a machine, or when the hard drives crash I need to rebuild.

Okay, now you can answer, how many licenses do I need?

Since the licensing change of 12.10 I need to figure out how many licenses I need and how I can use my licenses.

This is the technical support forum; the sales people don't monitor it. If you want to talk directly to them use the contact page on the web site (http://jpsoft.com/company.html).

I was using TC on my own computers or work computers for my own personal use. At home I have a desktop and laptop in which I regularly use TC. At work I have a desktop and two servers on which I use TC. The work desktop is mine, the servers are not. I use TC on the work desktop regularly but only occasionally on the two servers.

You'd need one license for home. You could get by with one more license for work, provided you're not using the desktop & servers simultaneously. (For anything other than brief periods of synchronization.)

If you're using the desktop and one server simultaneously, you'll need two licenses for work. If you use all three simultaneously, you'll need three licenses.

On top of that I have a number of VM images I use for development and testing. Those VMs run on three different machines: laptop, home desktop, and work desktop.

That depends on whether you change the machine name on the different VM's. If you don't, you don't need any additional licenses. If you do, you're going to be restricted to a maximum of 3 registrations per license.

Sometimes while at home I VPN/RDP to the desktop, servers, and VMs at work using either my laptop or home desktop.

That won't require any additional licenses - you'll be using the license on the remote machine.

Before you answer that question.... I also typically rebuild my machines, two or three times per year or recycle the machines periodically, upgrading if I find a good deal. I have been through three laptops in the last 2 years. My current laptop has been rebuilt three times this year already. What I am supposed to do with my license on these machines? How about just my laptop?

As long as you don't change the machine ID, you can activate an unlimited number of times on an individual machine.

It would be nice to check the number of available activations or to deactivate a license when I intend to rebuild a machine, or when the hard drives crash I need to rebuild.

Okay, now you can answer, how many licenses do I need?

There isn't any way for the end user to deactivate licenses (though we can do it here upon request).

We have been considering a USB version of TCMD for people who move from machine to machine, though that probably wouldn't do you much good for your servers.

Thanks for the reply despite my asking a sales question in a technical forum.

As long as you don't change the machine ID, you can activate an unlimited number of times on an individual machine.

So if I rebuild the same machine then I can register TC as long as the machine has the same name as the first time I registered.

An example, I rebuild my laptop installing Windows 7, name it Mustang, add it as a member of the Ford.SVO workgroup, and register TC. Assuming I use the same computer name would I be able to register TC again when...

1. I rebuild the laptop again with Windows 7 three months later after upgrading to SSDs?
  2. I rebuild the laptop again with Vista six months later?
  3. I rebuild the laptop again with Windows 8 when it comes out?
If I did perform each of those four tasks would that be considered one registration of a single license?

I just bought 3 more licenses for a total of 4. That should cover my physical and virtual machines with a little wiggle room.