Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Move descriptions to NTFS descriptions

Hi!

I would like to move all my old descriptions from my description files (FILES.BBS) to NTFS descriptions, so that I can see them also in the comment fields in any file manager.

How can I manage this in all folders and subfolders with one command?

TCCLE 14x64 under W10x64.

Supplement: Which field must I switch on in the file manager (Explorer) to see the file description?

Last edited:
There's already a description extension for descrit.ion, It gives a column in explorer.
Using files.bbs is non-standard, because many programs look for descript.ion, and not what iis set in 4dos.ini.

There's already a description extension for descrit.ion, It gives a column in explorer.
Using files.bbs is non-standard, because many programs look for descript.ion, and not what iis set in 4dos.ini.
Ok, the name of the description file is not the problem, I can rename it, but what description extension? Where can I get it? And is this only for explorer or also for other filemanagers?

It's called descext113, from http://www.rbahr.de/ . The page is in german, but don't worry. It runs in english too.
It creates a new file column in explorer 'File Description', and adds a tab to the property sheet to add properties. You can edit the description from there.

It works under Windows 7, but because the explorer window has changed, you have to manually activate it in Windows.

File commander (by Brian Havard), or Total Commander (by Ghisler), and FAR all support description.

The trouble with storing things in EAs is that you can't copy EAs to cdroms or fat32 disks, while descript,ion is. This is one reason why i have set descriptions to a file rather than an EA.

It's called descext113, from http://www.rbahr.de/ . The page is in german, but don't worry. It runs in english too.
Thank you. I HOPE it is in german, because I am German. The problem today is, that you don't find any help in german. I'll have a look at it.

Edit: I have just tried it out. It doesn't run with Windows 10x64. It doesn't find the Windows Explorer.

Last edited:
That's OK. You can set the columns manually. It only needs to find explorer to automatically set the columns.
It's running if you get a description tab on the properties sheet (right click - propertis).

Go into explorer, view list and click in the table titles. You should be able to add an extra column. It is called 'file description', not 'description'.
There's some setting in folder settings that will make it true for all folders

Wendy,

I am not sure if the utility you linked to works in x64 windows. I have successfully used it in older Windows version but I can't get it to run Win 7 x64 either. I installed and manually added the File Description column. However, no descriptions are showing up. I know there are descriptions because dir /z shows them. I also do not get a Description tab in the properties page. Any ideas? Thanks!

That utility looks to be very old and certainly 32-bit. Unfortunately 32-bit shell extensions don't work with 64-bit Windows.

That utility looks to be very old and certainly 32-bit. Unfortunately 32-bit shell extensions don't work with 64-bit Windows.
Agreed. However, Wendy was implying to the OP that it should still run so I was wondering if she manually got it to work. I have seen some x32 extensions work w/ x64 windows but it is clunky at best...

Back