Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Save and load a command dialog set and name it

Oct
When using TCDIALOG, alt-F2 or /=, ability to save or load the group of settings to a file and name each configuration set, e.g., . "Dir - By date, No Summary" or "Dir - Under 1k, Only .dat"

Often the same basic set is needed repeatedly with minor changes or a set is so obscure that the user will remember "I did something like that months ago but I don't remember the details, so I don't know what to search for."

Questions:

1) Should it only use one file?

2) Should the user be able to specify the file name?

3) If so, where? TCMD.ini ?

4) Should there be a location of pointers containing the locations of multiple files?

In other words, (TCDL = TCDialog Locations)
\TCDL
.. \Auto Parts Dirs-shortcut {points to M:\Auto Parts\dir configs.dir-sav}
..\Boat Parts Dir-shortcut {points to L:\Boats\boat dir configs.dir-sav}
..\Planes-shortcut {points to N:\Planes\all airplane.dir-sav}

There would need to be a way to tie a "saved configs" file to a single command, so when the user pulls up the configs list for DIR he only gets configs for DIR.

Although I think the concept is good, I hadn't realized this could involve changing the dialogs for hundreds of commands. (I rarely use the dialog, so I didn't realize most of the commands have one.)

Depending on how the dialog code is set up, one way could be just a button that invokes the Save/Load as a separate dialog.

An alternative would be to just add this to about 10-20 commands where it will get the most use, such as DIR.

If it would involve substantial rewrites of hundreds of dialogs, then it's not worth implementing.

Although I think the concept is good, I hadn't realized this could involve changing the dialogs for hundreds of commands. (I rarely use the dialog, so I didn't realize most of the commands have one.)

Depending on how the dialog code is set up, one way could be just a button that invokes the Save/Load as a separate dialog.

An alternative would be to just add this to about 10-20 commands where it will get the most use, such as DIR.

If it would involve substantial rewrites of hundreds of dialogs, then it's not worth implementing.
Or, You might use different aliases for the most common sets that You use.

Regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

The problem with aliases is they wouldn't be stored in a central location and aliases wouldn't load those into the dialog for modification. Plus, aliases couldn't have spaces, commas, etc., in the description.