Save and load a command dialog set and name it

Oct 18, 2009
When using TCDIALOG, alt-F2 or /=, ability to save or load the group of settings to a file and name each configuration set, e.g., . "Dir - By date, No Summary" or "Dir - Under 1k, Only .dat"

Often the same basic set is needed repeatedly with minor changes or a set is so obscure that the user will remember "I did something like that months ago but I don't remember the details, so I don't know what to search for."

Questions:

1) Should it only use one file?

2) Should the user be able to specify the file name?

3) If so, where? TCMD.ini ?

4) Should there be a location of pointers containing the locations of multiple files?

In other words, (TCDL = TCDialog Locations)
\TCDL
.. \Auto Parts Dirs-shortcut {points to M:\Auto Parts\dir configs.dir-sav}
..\Boat Parts Dir-shortcut {points to L:\Boats\boat dir configs.dir-sav}
..\Planes-shortcut {points to N:\Planes\all airplane.dir-sav}

There would need to be a way to tie a "saved configs" file to a single command, so when the user pulls up the configs list for DIR he only gets configs for DIR.

Oct 18, 2009
Although I think the concept is good, I hadn't realized this could involve changing the dialogs for hundreds of commands. (I rarely use the dialog, so I didn't realize most of the commands have one.)

Depending on how the dialog code is set up, one way could be just a button that invokes the Save/Load as a separate dialog.

An alternative would be to just add this to about 10-20 commands where it will get the most use, such as DIR.

If it would involve substantial rewrites of hundreds of dialogs, then it's not worth implementing.

May 20, 2009
ITALY
Although I think the concept is good, I hadn't realized this could involve changing the dialogs for hundreds of commands. (I rarely use the dialog, so I didn't realize most of the commands have one.)

Depending on how the dialog code is set up, one way could be just a button that invokes the Save/Load as a separate dialog.

An alternative would be to just add this to about 10-20 commands where it will get the most use, such as DIR.

If it would involve substantial rewrites of hundreds of dialogs, then it's not worth implementing.
Or, You might use different aliases for the most common sets that You use.

Regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Oct 18, 2009
The problem with aliases is they wouldn't be stored in a central location and aliases wouldn't load those into the dialog for modification. Plus, aliases couldn't have spaces, commas, etc., in the description.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Save/Load history/aliases/settings to/from Cloud services Suggestions 1
Phileosophos Save and restore tab layouts Suggestions 0
R Done screen buffer save Suggestions 6
T Done TCMD tabbed toolbar - auto-save changes Suggestions 0
rps Declined Add auto-load directives to tcmd.ini Suggestions 3
vefatica Done Auto-load .watch files Suggestions 1
Joe Caverly Done Specify which LIBRARY to run command from Suggestions 2
vefatica File name completion at the beginning of the command line Suggestions 6
L Done Suggestion for TCC 'ver' command Suggestions 8
JohnQSmith Done Modified last command prompt duration Suggestions 5
C Feature Request: Gain some elements of the XXCOPY feature set in COPY or a new "Mass-Copy" command Suggestions 0
D Done SHORTCUT command should accept unexpanded environment variables. Suggestions 0
mfarah Unix-like clear screen keystroke command. Suggestions 0
C Powershell ISE tabbed within Take Command Suggestions 0
D Command Input Feature Request Suggestions 0
R Done Putting command output into an array Suggestions 2
R Done Execute command while at a breakpoint Suggestions 4
R Done Allow single stepping within a command group Suggestions 5
R Declined wish-list: add a command to copy a file to clipboard. Suggestions 17
A Declined Navigation in Take Command Suggestions 4
x13 SORTARRAY command Suggestions 1
R ffind /= and command line Suggestions 0
A Declined Enhance OPTION command functionality Suggestions 2
R Done Command History Window: select more than one line. Suggestions 0
R Declined History: show in which directory a command has been typed. Suggestions 6
N Declined GUI for select command Suggestions 0
Charles Dye Done TCEDIT: Command-line option to print files Suggestions 2
Charles Dye Declined Windows functions and command: Add syntax to specify HWND directly Suggestions 0
vefatica Declined @@key alias at beginning of partial command line Suggestions 10
Alpengreis Done Add "Slow copy" (/WAIT) parameter to SYNC command Suggestions 1
L Completing the UnQLite command's option set Suggestions 0
joltcoder Done Support an "up" command to go to parent directory and "up3" to go up 3 directories, etc. Suggestions 4
M Declined Command line support for Virustotal Suggestions 0
A Declined Take Command/Debugger as a Visual Studio 2017 add-in/extension Suggestions 4
Joe Caverly Done UnLIBRARY command Suggestions 9
jaejunks Done Option for case-sensitive string comparison in IF command (for CMD compatibility) Suggestions 1
rps Done Log entry command Suggestions 3
rps Done Command and directory history pop-up additions Suggestions 2
rps Command History window options Suggestions 0
rps Declined Command output spacing options Suggestions 0
rps Done Command History edit additions Suggestions 0
J Done Set font in Take Command tabs in a .btm Suggestions 1
rconn Add a parameter to dir command to handle zip files as folders Suggestions 1
rconn Command Line constructor custom DIALOGs for batch files Suggestions 0
rconn A Command-line comparison Suggestions 0
rconn Done database access from command line Suggestions 0
W Done Add colorize to tree command? Suggestions 0
S Done Eject removable USB drives command Suggestions 2
Alpengreis Declined Any chance for quick help with all command-options? Suggestions 3
ehab aboudaya Done Shortcut Key to switch between current active tab & command input Suggestions 0