1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thank you *very* much for tcc/le !!!

Discussion in 'TCC/LE Support' started by Gorlash, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Gorlash

Okay, I should have sent this message a thousand years ago!!

THANK YOU FOR 4DOS, AND 4NT, AND TCC/LE ...

I've been a jpsoft supporter since *way* back in the 4DOS days... I first registered 4DOS back with... hmmm... I'm pretty sure it was MSDOS 3.x days. I stuck with 4DOS even after Win95/98 came out, since it served my purposes just fine!

I have always loved the flexibility of this wonderful program; it makes the TAB and UP_ARROW keys almost magical!! Even the Win32 ports of BASH couldn't compete; while one *can* do almost everything that 4DOS can do, in BASH, it can be painful to figure out, and awkward to use (how many people know how to do previous-command matching in BASH? It's certainly not as easy as typing a couple of characters and hitting TAB).

OTOH, I've never been a big fan of batch programming; if I want to hack text files, I use AWK (or GAWK, nowadays). If I need finer control, I write in C, which I've been doing for almost 30 years.

Then WinXP came out, and suddenly all my Win16/DOS software was broken, at least on long filenames. So I upgraded to 4NT, and was back in heaven again! My 4start.bat needed a _little_ hacking, but not that much, and frankly I was quite happy with 4nt5, and never really had any reason to upgrade to the later versions, which mostly improved batch processing.

However, *one* issue was always awkward. I typically am sporadically using some 10 or 15 computers over the course of a month... lab machines and laptops at work, netbook, my wife's machines, our router machine (before I got a dedicated box for that), my parents' computers, etc. I was always uncomfortable copying my licensed copy to other machines, even though I was the only user... but I almost cannot run normal cmd.exe at all anymore!

So when tcc/le came out, I was in heaven!!! In fact, I registered TCC a few years back, just to pay JpSoft for releasing tcc/le instead of killing it... but to be honest, I never felt all that at home with the full TCC; that simulated command prompt just doesn't work the way I want a command prompt to work, especially when I'm running utilities such as my NDIR32, which write colored text to the screen. So, I stick with the classic 4nt/tccle, and I am very happy!

Yes, Rex, I am TRULY grateful for your generosity in releasing, and continuing to maintain, tcc/le. It's a wonderful program and I couldn't live without it. If you decide to drop support for it, I'll understand, but I'm glad it's here now.

Thank you very much!

Dan Miller
    Fremont, CA

2. vpdura

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 00:15:33 -0500, Gorlash <>
    wrote Re [Support-t-2565] Thank you *very* much for tcc/le !!!:

Well said. Add my thanks to that.