Ubuntu and Wine

Hi,
I realize that TCC and TCMD are only supported on Windows, but I just want to ask in case someone else has found a solution.

Using wubi, I have installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my system, allowing me to boot either into Windows XP, or Ubuntu 9.10.

Using Wine, I can successfully launch and use 4NT8 in Ubuntu. However, it does display the message "Your evaluation period expires in 29 days".

I cannot, however, use TC 11.

When I start TCC.EXE v11, it comes up with a terminal window, with a flashing cursor, and nothing else. That is, no prompt, etc.

When I start TCMD.EXE v11, it comes up with "This trial version of Take Command has expired! You can order a registered copy on our web site...".

I have the TakeCommand11.key in my folder where the .EXEs are.

Note that Ubuntu allows access to my Windows XP folders, via Host/Program Files/JPSoft/TCMD11, which is where I am attempting to launch the EXEs.

Wine allows much configuration, such as which Windows Version to mimic, DLL Overrides, etc. I am using Wine 1.1.31, mimicing Windows XP.

Again, I realize that that TCC and TCMD are only supported on Windows, but I just want to ask in case someone else has found a solution.

Joe

After upgrading to Ubuntu 10.04, and the latest Wine, I gave 4NT8 another go.

It works!

I did try to get TCC 11 working, but no go. Same problems as I mentioned before.

The Help file is not viewable from 4NT8, but I have problems with the PowerBASIC help files also, which I solved by using the kchmviewer.

I was also able to successfully register, eliminating the evaluation message, in 4NT8.

Regardless of what changes that I make in the Windows tab of the Option command, I am limited to an 80 x 25 screen. Though I can use the mouse to make the window bigger, still the same 80 x 25 screen.

I also cannot start 4NT8 from any menu. I have to open the Ubuntu File Browser, move to the /home/jlc/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/JPSoft/4NT8 folder, and double-click the 4nt.exe file to launch the program.

Still, I'm able to use my .btm files, and plugins, which is all I really need at this time.

Hope that this helps others who have also made the move to Linux, but still want to use 4NT.

Joe

After reading http://www.winehq.org/site/docs/wineusr-guide/cui-programs I found out how to expand the 4NT8 window beyond 80 x 25.

Once 4NT8 is running, right-click anywhere in the window, and choose Properties.

From the configuration tab, change your Buffer Zone and Window Size as desired, then click OK.

I have my Buffer Zone Height as 200, and my Window Size Height as 60.

Retain these settings for later sessions, and then click OK.

Joe

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Joe Caverly Support 12
Joe Caverly Support 3
Joe Caverly Support 13