Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UTF-8 display in TCMD

May
When I run TCC stand-alone I can TYPE utf8 encoded files correctly by setting the console to code page 65001 using chcp and setting the console font to a font that supports the extended characters in the file (Lucida console).

However, this does not work if TCC runs inside TCMD. TCMD uses Lucida console font and I have set the code page to 65001. But the extended characters are displayed as gibberish.

I guess it's the screen-scraping between TCC and TCMD that comes in the way? Any way to fix this by changing an option or so?

Edit:

I seem to have found a solution. If I change the font for TCC to Lucida Console and leave that as default for "future windows with same title", then it also seems to work for new TCC sessions run from inside TCMD. (Providing chcp 65001 is used first of course).

Seems strange to me as TCMD has its own font (also Lucida console) so why should it matter which font the hosted consoles use? Not that I'm complaining as long as it works.

I seem to have found a solution. If I change the font for TCC to Lucida Console and leave that as default for "future windows with same title", then it also seems to work for new TCC sessions run from inside TCMD. (Providing chcp 65001 is used first of course).

Seems strange to me as TCMD has its own font (also Lucida console) so why should it matter which font the hosted consoles use? Not that I'm complaining as long as it works.

Windows is translating between the console non-Unicode font and the GUI Unicode font, and it rarely gets all the characters right. The only reliable way to handle this is to have both sides using Unicode code pages.