Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

v12 Release Build test - 32-bit fixed

I'm still perplexed that TC has to wait for all drives in the system to respond before it starts. Is there a specific reason for this or is it the result of some library you're using that you have no control over?

If it was displaying free space for every drive in the task bar, I'd understand.

There's so much in TC. Maybe there are some internal variables that get initialized that require all drives to be queried.

You think mapped drives are a problem! Try entering a UNC path to a share on another computer (like \\lucky\d$) in the location box. I get a 150-second hourglass after which nothing has changed. TCMD is the only piece of software on my system which can deal (somewhat) with networking but can't go to a UNC-specified share. Even Explorer, with its tree and list views showing does it almost instantly, updating the tree view in a reasonable fashion (MSWindowsNetwork\WORKGROUP\lucky\d$). Rex, are there no shell or cabinet class windows that will handle all this for you?

I'm still perplexed that TC has to wait for all drives in the system to respond before it starts. Is there a specific reason for this or is it the result of some library you're using that you have no control over?

The latter. The tree control (for the folder view) has to query the drives. It doesn't have to get full information, it just needs to get a "ready" or "not ready" response back. The problem is with some network redirectors, which do not respond *at all* for a significant amount of time.

You think mapped drives are a problem! Try entering a UNC path to a share on another computer (like \\lucky\d$) in the location box. I get a 150-second hourglass after which nothing has changed. TCMD is the only piece of software on my system which can deal (somewhat) with networking but can't go to a UNC-specified share. Even Explorer, with its tree and list views showing does it almost instantly, updating the tree view in a reasonable fashion (MSWindowsNetwork\WORKGROUP\lucky\d$). Rex, are there no shell or cabinet class windows that will handle all this for you?

I see a < 1 second delay if the UNC name exists (and TCMD shows the contents of the UNC), and a 10 second delay if the UNC doesn't exist. (Subsequent attempts are about 5 seconds.)

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 17:45:21 -0400, rconn <> wrote:

|---Quote (Originally by vefatica)---
|You think mapped drives are a problem! Try entering a UNC path to a share on another computer (like \\lucky\d$) in the location box. I get a 150-second hourglass after which nothing has changed. TCMD is the only piece of software on my system which can deal (somewhat) with networking but can't go to a UNC-specified share. Even Explorer, with its tree and list views showing does it almost instantly, updating the tree view in a reasonable fashion (MSWindowsNetwork\WORKGROUP\lucky\d$). Rex, are there no shell or cabinet class windows that will handle all this for you?
|---End Quote---
|
|I see a < 1 second delay if the UNC name exists (and TCMD shows the contents of the UNC), and a 10 second delay if the UNC doesn't exist. (Subsequent attempts are about 5 seconds.)

Of course I'm using that ancient OS, Windows XP/SP3. The UNCs are on a VPN to
my work computer ... I've used them for years. When I put one into TCMD's
location box, there's **no** activity on the VPN at all ... always been that way
with TCMD.

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 20:49:21 -0400, rconn <> wrote:

|---Quote (Originally by vefatica)---
||Of course I'm using that ancient OS, Windows XP/SP3. The UNCs are on a VPN to my work computer ... I've used them for years. When I put one into TCMD's location box, there's **no** activity on the VPN at all ... always been that way with TCMD.
|---End Quote---
|
|Do you have problems with all UNCs on your system, or just that VPN?

On a LAN (hard-wired through a switch) it takes 30 seconds for the first UNC (an
admin-shared root, "\\jj\d$") to become connected. When that happens I get a
new "Entire Network" in the tree view. That "Entire Network" is selected and
the root of the share does not appear in the list view. If (first time) I enter
the name of a folder in that share's root ("\\jj\d$\tcmd10"), after 30 seconds
it says it can't find the path.

After either of the above, further attempts to go to a UNC root ("\\jj\e$") work
instantly, giving another "Entire Network" (selected) in the tree view, and no
list view, and further attempts at non-root UNCs ("\\jj\e$\mail") fail (not
found) instantly. If I repeatedly enter the same UNC root ("\\jj\d$") or
alternate entering two of them, I get duplicate instances of "Entire Network".