Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Charles, I just installed the "new" SafeChars plugin, ...

May
...and I'm rather confused. I don't think I'm making an error of some kind here, but the very first thing I did after installing it is go into the "help" file to see what changes you had made. And there under "Functions" is "@UnSafe" just as I would expect, but when I double-click on it I get exactly the same page as far as I can tell as I get if I double-clicked on the "UnSafe" command in the "Command" category. Somewhere/somehow I think you made an error of some kind when you updated your "help" file.

However, I did just try out the only "new" thing that could identify for sure (the "@UnSafe" function), and it worked exactly as I would have hoped. Thank you! :)

- Dan

P. S. After I had typed in the above, I went back to the "help file" and checked out the "change log". I have to admit that I didn't initially realize that it went from "old" to "new; for some reason I expected it to go from "new" to "old", i.e. the "new" stuff at the top and not at the bottom. However, when I scrolled down basically just for the heck of it, I saw that I was totally wrong in the above and that you had placed the new "changes" you had just made at the bottom of the list; and you also added the "SafeArray" command. Just out of curiosity, was that something you just added that had nothing at all to do with the new "@UnSafe" function? I ask because I don't really see any relationship between the one and the other. Just an "just out of curiosity" question....

No relationship; it just seemed like it might be useful (e.g. your example of slurping PDIR's output into an array) and most of the code could be borrowed from an existing command in a different plugin.

Though it has since dawned on me that it would be much better to just use PDIR /(FNQ) instead of PDIR /(FN) ....

Charles, thank you for clarifying that; it reassures me that I'm not completely off my rocker. However, you didn't mention the "help file" issue in the above that was the main reason for me starting this thread in the first place; was I just wrong about what I at least thought I was seeing? - Dan

I don't see any bad links, but I'm quite capable of such screwups. Can you tell me exactly where to find the one you're looking at? And is it in the HTML file, the .CHM, or both? (The .CHM is mostly generated from the .HTML, but a few pages (commands.html, functions.html -- those that appear as folders) I maintain separately.)

Charles, I just repeated it (it took about 30 seconds) - I "opened" the "help" file (simply "^s"D:\Program Files\JPSoft\Plugins\SafeChars.chm" from the command line so there could be absolutely no issues related to versions or anything else - and it is the "right" help file because it contains "@UNSAFE" which is, of course, new), the help file "came up", I clicked on the "+" box next to the "Functions" category, I click on "@Unsafe", and I get:

UNSAFE — Enables, disables, saves, restores, or lists dangerous characters.
Syntax:
UNSAFE /D:chars /E:chars /R /S /Z
/D:chars disable (treat as safe) the following characters
/E:chars enable (treat as dangerous) the following characters
/R restore the list of dangerous characters from the registry
/S save the list of dangerous characters to the registry
/Z reset the list of dangerous characters to the plugin defaults
This command allows you to customize the list of “dangerous” characters. You can enable more characters, so the plugin will treat them as dangerous and remap them to Unicode alternates, or disable characters so they are not considered dangerous and will not be remapped. Only characters in the range of 32 - 127 can be remapped. You can also save your modified list of dangerous characters to the registry; it will then be reloaded automatically when the plugin starts.

Which is obviously incorrect just on the basis that that it show the syntax of a command and not a function. I then click on the "commands" category, click on "Unsafe", and get:

UNSAFE — Enables, disables, saves, restores, or lists dangerous characters.
Syntax:
UNSAFE /D:chars /E:chars /R /S /Z
/D:chars disable (treat as safe) the following characters
/E:chars enable (treat as dangerous) the following characters
/R restore the list of dangerous characters from the registry
/S save the list of dangerous characters to the registry
/Z reset the list of dangerous characters to the plugin defaults
This command allows you to customize the list of “dangerous” characters. You can enable more characters, so the plugin will treat them as dangerous and remap them to Unicode alternates, or disable characters so they are not considered dangerous and will not be remapped. Only characters in the range of 32 - 127 can be remapped. You can also save your modified list of dangerous characters to the registry; it will then be reloaded automatically when the plugin starts.

exactly the same thing as far as I can tell; in fact the screen doesn't change in any way when I click on "UNSAFE" and the click on "@UNSAFE" and vice versa. While I'm often a screwup and imagine things ( :) ), I really don't think I'm doing any such thing in this case.

Okay, I see it now. I had linked the wrong file in the table of contents -- another thing that has to be done by hand. Thanks for the heads-up.

Back