sharing global histories between different TCMD versions?

#1
Is and if so how is it possible to share global history lists between TCMD versions from 8 to 11?

I currently have a BTM that is called at system startup:

BOF startup.btm
: Load all alias, function, dirhistory, history lists saved from last TCMD session
:
*set SHRALIAS_SAVE_PATH=D:\TakeCommand\LOGS
echo SHRALIAS_SAVE_PATH: %SHRALIAS_SAVE_PATH
*shralias

for %a in ("%SHRALIAS_SAVE_PATH%\*.sav") do (
echo.
echo %a
set fun=%@name[%a]
echo %fun
echo Loading %[fun] ...
echo %[fun] /r "%a"
%[fun] /r "%a"
)

delay 1

:EOF startup.btm

then TCSTART.btm has nothing that affects the global lists or shralias....

Any help greatly appreciated!
 
#2
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 18:18:54 -0500, [email protected] <>
wrote:

|Is and if so how is it possible to share global history lists between TCMD versions from 8 to 11?

I'd expect what you do below would work. I do something similar which makes the
lists shared by v9, v10, and v11. I don't have v8 on this machine and I don't
remember if anything was different. Here's what I do (below). Though my
shralias is built into a DLL which I cause Explorer to load, your SHRALIAS
command, which starts SHRALIAS.EXE should do the same thing.

You say "system startup". If that's before logon, it won't work because the
shared memory-mapped files are userid-specific. I load them in a **logon**
script, thus:

if not isdir %SHRALIAS_SAVE_PATH md %SHRALIAS_SAVE_PATH
cdd %SHRALIAS_SAVE_PATH
echo Now in %_cwd

for %f in ( *.sav ) %@name[%f] /r %f
delay 2
REM SHRALIAS instead of the next line
d:\uty\injectdll.exe %@pid[xplorer.exe] d:\tcmd10\shralias.dll
delay 2
--
- Vince
 
#3
vefatica wrote:
| [email protected] wrote:
|| Is and if so how is it possible to share global history lists
|| between TCMD versions from 8 to 11?
|
| I'd expect what you do below would work. I do something similar
| which makes the lists shared by v9, v10, and v11.
...
| You say "system startup". If that's before logon, it won't work
| because the shared memory-mapped files are userid-specific.
...
I, too, make it part of my logging in, by having a shortcut file in
%userprofile\start menu\programs\startup, which starts TCC in the same
manner as both of you do it, though I use DO to loop. The version of
SHRALIAS.EXE I use is one Vince released over 3 years ago, and which on exit
saves the tables in ASCII files, not Unicode. The same tables (history,
directory distory, alias and functions) are shared with 4NT V6 through the
latest TCC. No problems, except some of my functions and aliases have left
V6 behind (they use features of later versions). Anything that the older
versions support work identically with the latest versions.
--
Steve
 
#4
The lists are now working! However I have now found out that the keystoke for various things are different - at least btwn v8 and 9. Is there a chart or what th4e keys were to do the same things in different versions of TCMD? I know it's documented in the help files but a printable chart would be very nice!!!

PS I have a shortcut in "%userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" to c:\batch\startup.btm
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
10,753
97
#5
> The lists are now working! However I have now found out that the
> keystoke for various things are different - at least btwn v8 and 9. Is
> there a chart or what th4e keys were to do the same things in different
> versions of TCMD? I know it's documented in the help files but a
> printable chart would be very nice!!!
I'm not aware of any keystroke changes -- do you have some examples?

Rex Conn
JP Software
 

Charles Dye

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 20, 2008
3,721
47
Albuquerque, NM
prospero.unm.edu
#6
I'm not aware of any keystroke changes -- do you have some examples?
Pre-v9 Take Command had different default keystrokes for history recall and buffer scrolling, as opposed to 4NT (and later TCC / Take Command.) Hence ye olde SwapScrollKeys directive.

It should be possible to make TCC act like archaic Take Commands with a bunch of .INI directives, but in the long run it's probably easier to just bite the bullet and retrain your fingers to the 4NT keys.

(Also, somewhere along the line Control-PageDown ceased to open the directory history window; deliberately I think. A DirWinOpen=Ctrl-PgDn re-enables it.)