1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WAD 16.0027 Alias /rz bug

Discussion in 'Support' started by keithg1964, Jan 2, 2014.

1. keithg1964

Alias /zr does not load alias below an empty line.

Without the /z it works fine.

2. Rodolfo

I confirm, and also for function /R /Z there is the same issue.

Regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

3. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

Not a bug. /Z will load the alias file EXACTLY as it exists. No blank lines allowed, no comments, etc. If you want to prettify your alias list, do not use /Z.

If /Z had to do all of that preprocessing, then it'll end up the same as a /R, and all the speed gains will be gone.

4. keithg1964

It may be working as designed but the fact that it will process an alias list differently, I don't think it worth the speed increase. Has anybody complained about the time it takes to load an alias list?

5. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes -- there are some users with 400K+ alias lists, which takes about 10 seconds to load in v15.

If you have a small list you won't notice the difference between /R and /R /Z.

6. Steve Fabian

But the 10s should not matter if using global lists - on logging in I automatically run a temporary instance of TCC, which starts SHRALIAS.EXE, loads all the .SAV files, and exits. Runs much faster than the starting up of my browser and mail client. For instances that require a local list you probably have no use for all 400kB of aliases, etc.

7. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

The local lists don't have a size limit like the global ones do.

8. Steve Fabian

... and I thought that 1564 aliases using 71291 characters is awfully many!

I was under the impression that "The global alias list and global function list sizes may be increased with the AliasSize and FunctionSize .INI directives." (From V16: Help -> Reference -> Limits), which implies that though there is a default limit, but there is no absolute limit.

9. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

The global lists can only be sized once; they cannot grow if subsequent shells decide they need more memory. The local lists will grow as necessary.