Missing files - totally confused and worried

Mar 21, 2011
I am experiencing a strange problem which I find quite shocking.

I can see files in CMD which are not appearing in TCC/LE. Also, in TCC/LE, the files that I see have different sizes and timestamps to how they appear in CMD.

Please see the attached file to see what I mean.

Today I have also been looking for a couple of directories which I cannot find anywhere, and they are full of important files. Recently I had been copying stuff across to a new hard drive using TCC/LE and I formatted the old drive's partitions. I am fearing that I formatted the drive without realising that there were files still on the drive because of this strange phenomenon.

I'm in shock!

Attachments

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
I am experiencing a strange problem which I find quite shocking.

I can see files in CMD which are not appearing in TCC/LE. Also, in TCC/LE, the files that I see have different sizes and timestamps to how they appear in CMD.
You don't say what version of Windows you're running, but if it's a 64-bit version this would be expected. TCC/LE is a 32-bit app and Windows is redirecting \windows\system32 to a different directory for 32-bit apps (SYSWOW64). Normal Windows behavior (it also redirects the registry reads & writes).

Two ways around it -- either use the full TCC.EXE (which has a 64-bit version), or run OPTION / Startup and uncheck "Win64 File System Redirection".

Mar 21, 2011
You don't say what version of Windows you're running, but if it's a 64-bit version this would be expected. TCC/LE is a 32-bit app and Windows is redirecting \windows\system32 to a different directory for 32-bit apps (SYSWOW64). Normal Windows behavior (it also redirects the registry reads & writes).

Two ways around it -- either use the full TCC.EXE (which has a 64-bit version), or run OPTION / Startup and uncheck "Win64 File System Redirection".
Oh that's a relief. Thank you for the explanation. Hopefully my missing files will turn up on another drive (it was a complicated reorganisation), as I could not have deleted them by accident because of this issue.

I'm using Windows Server 2008 R2 x64.