command input separate for each tab

#1
I am normally using local command history, and I perform different tasks in each tab. I tried using the command input window, but I always end up with mistakenly using commands in the wrong tab.

Suggestion: have a separate command input window for each tab (could be optional, or depending on the configuration for local command history).
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
10,757
97
#2
Christian Albaret wrote:

> I am normally using local command history, and I perform different tasks in each tab. I tried using the command input window, but I always end up with mistakenly using commands in the wrong tab.
>
> Suggestion: have a separate command input window for each tab (could be optional, or depending on the configuration for local command history).
The whole purpose of the command input window is to share it among all
of the tabs. If you want to restrict it to a single tab, there's not
much point in using it versus just entering everything in the tab window
itself.

I did try a test a few months ago to see if separate command input
windows for each tab window was feasible, but there are a number of
Windows architectural problems that render it difficult-to-impossible.

Rex Conn
JP Software
 
#4
Christian Albaret wrote:



The whole purpose of the command input window is to share it among all
of the tabs. If you want to restrict it to a single tab, there's not
much point in using it versus just entering everything in the tab window
itself.

I did try a test a few months ago to see if separate command input
windows for each tab window was feasible, but there are a number of
Windows architectural problems that render it difficult-to-impossible.

Rex Conn
JP Software
I thought the command input window had better editing feature: cut, copy, and paste much as in a text editor, which could be useful with very long commands, when you make a small change each time. It was the case in v9, but not any more in v10.

Nothing essential anyway.
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
10,757
97
#5
Christian Albaret wrote:

> ---Quote (Originally by rconn)---
> Christian Albaret wrote:
>
>
>
> The whole purpose of the command input window is to share it among all
> of the tabs. If you want to restrict it to a single tab, there's not
> much point in using it versus just entering everything in the tab window
> itself.
>
> I did try a test a few months ago to see if separate command input
> windows for each tab window was feasible, but there are a number of
> Windows architectural problems that render it difficult-to-impossible.
>
> Rex Conn
> JP Software
> ---End Quote---
> I thought the command input window had better editing feature: cut, copy, and paste much as in a text editor, which could be useful with very long commands, when you make a small change each time. It was the case in v9, but not any more in v10.
The command input window is exactly the same in v9 & v10.

Rex Conn
JP Software
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
10,757
97
#7
Christian Albaret wrote:

> ---Quote (Originally by rconn)---
> Christian Albaret wrote:
>
> The command input window is exactly the same in v9 & v10.
>
> Rex Conn
> JP Software
> ---End Quote---
> In v10 I do not manage to use Ctrl-C, Ctrl-X, or Ctrl-V in the command input (I checked now: cut, copy, paste work well from the contextual menu). Maybe some configuration makes them unoperative there.
Not reproducible here; Ctrl-C, Ctrl-X, and Ctrl-V all work in the
command input window. (Which is a Windows control, not TCMD, so
something would have to be wrong with your Windows common controls.)

Anybody else able to reproduce this with v10?

Rex Conn
JP Software