Declined History: show in which directory a command has been typed.

May 20, 2009
ITALY
I would like to see in the history also the directory in which I was working when I typed a command.
For example, now in the history log I can find that I typed a command such as "erase filename".
But it was in the test directory and so I removed just a test file, or it was in a very important directory?

Thank You very much and regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Charles Dye

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 20, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
prospero.unm.edu
And what would you see when you recalled a command with up-arrow?
Just the command.

I don't see any reason why the history mechanism couldn't save the current directory along with each command. I think it would eat memory, though. Users are able to delete history entries, so it wouldn't be as simple as just having a null "ditto" entry for commands where the CWD hasn't changed.

May 20, 2008
Syracuse, NY, USA
I don't remember ever wanting to know the CWD when a command from the past was executed. And I don't want see that every time I open the history popup. It's easy enough to save that info (see below) but I'd expect to have to do a little work to see it. You can ...

Make a history log.

and use
Code:
alias pre_exec `echo CWD: %_cwd >> h:\4NTLogs\history.log`
You can always go back and see where you were when you did something.

Code:
v:\> tail h:\4NTLogs\history.log
CWD: V:\
cdd g:\tc24
CWD: G:\tc24
cdd c:\
CWD: C:\
v:\
echo foo
tail h:\4NTLogs\history.log

May 20, 2008
Syracuse, NY, USA
And if you really wanted it in the history recall, you could use something like one of these.

Code:
alias pre_exec `history /a CWD: %_cwd`

alias pre_exec `if "%_cwd" != "%cwdlast" (history /a CWD: %_cwd & set cwdlast=%_cwd)`