Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to? Dir specific file search patterns with spaces in the pathnames?

Oct
Using DIR I need to display files matching 2 different patterns, including the full path in the spec, but the path has spaces, e.g.:

Display only these files:

F:\Last Week\temp\HFLIST.xlsx
F:\Last Week\temp\HFLIST.txt
F:\Last Week\temp\05-07-2019_Inventory.xlsx
F:\Last Week\temp\05-07-2019_Invoice.txt

They're all in one folder. The examples in the Help all have no spaces in the path name.

If figured it out

Code:
Set src_path=F:\Last Week\temp

dir "%src_path\HFLIST.*;*05-07*.*"

(In the example, the * before 05 will pull up all files that contain 05-07 somewhere.)

Use an include list ... (?)

Code:
v:\> dir /f v*.btm;c*.btm
V:\checkvip.btm
V:\collision.btm
V:\colors.btm
V:\vhd.btm

Use an include list ... (?)

Code:
v:\> dir /f v*.btm;c*.btm
V:\checkvip.btm
V:\collision.btm
V:\colors.btm
V:\vhd.btm
My question is specifically about use in a batch file, where the folder being displayed is not the current folder and there are spaces in the pathname. I see that it actually is an include list.

I haven't tried the below because at the moment I don't need it, but this would probably work too. (It might be necessary to put double-quotes around the semicolon separator.)

Code:
Set last_wk_path=F:\Last Week\temp
Set last_mon_path=F:\Last Month\temp

dir "%last_wk_path\HFLIST.*;%last_mon_path\*05-07*.*"

Of include lists, the help says:
Only the first entry in each include list may specify a path. All files in an include list must be in the same directory.
So I don't think you can get "f:\last week\..." and "f:\last month\..." in one DIR listing. You could:
Code:
dir "%last_wk_path\HFLIST.*" "%last_mon_path\*05-07*.*"
but as far as I can tell, that's the same as
Code:
dir ... & dir ...

If you don't care about the header and footer data, you can specify the /b or /f switches or use PDIR.

Thanks all. I hadn't thought about it, but it wouldn't make sense to have files from multiple folders displayed in a single result laid out like a single-folder dir command with a single header block and a single footer block.

The code I'm using isn't intended to simply check whether files exist, it's specifically to display which files matching specific patterns are in the specific folder, so I can spot whether copies have been made, files that were supposed to be manually deleted or moved weren't, etc.