Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Does EVERYTHING work?

May
The Everything service is running. The usermode client/server is running. My own ES plugin (based on VoidTools sample CLI tool) works. But I can't get anything out of the internal command.

Code:
v:\> which everything
everything is an internal command

v:\> everything v:\z*

v:\> which es
es is a plugin command (ES)

v:\> es v:\z*
V:\zscore.btm
V:\zscorem.btm

If I ask for a lot, there's a brief delay, as if it's doing something, but no output.

Code:
v:\> everything c:\*

v:\>

I have an ES.EXE too but lets leave them out of the discussion for now. The service is always running and the client\server instance of EVERYTHING.EXE is running (started earlier, elevated or not, that doesn't seem to matter). The plugin is auto-loaded and the plugin command is ES.

This is what I'm seeing: whichever of es v:\z* and everything v:\z* I run first works and the one I run second doesn't produce output. That's the same regardless of the current TCC's elevation status.

The plugin does this in InitializePlugin() and never removes the filter.

Code:
    WCHAR szElevated[16] = L"%_ELEVATED";
    ExpandVariables(szElevated,0);
    bElevated = (szElevated[0] == L'1');
    if ( bElevated )
        ChangeWindowMessageFilter(WM_COPYDATA, MSGFLT_ADD);

If the EVERYTHING command removes the filter (does it?) that would explain ES not working after EVERYTHING. But the other way around is a mystery. If I use ES first, the filter should still be in place and I'd expect EVERYTHING to work.

In a quick test, regardless of which of EVERYTHING/ES is working, both versions of ES.EXE (yours and mine) work.

How are you choosing the Everything support during the TCMD install?

Anybody else seeing this?
I've been letting the installer install it but I often stop the client and the service. At the moment I'm using Everything v1.5 (alpha) which uses a separate service. TCC's internal EVERYTHING command and my ES plugin command both work, but as I said before, only the first one of those used in a TCC instance works; that's the same with TCC's Everything 1.4 and the 1.5 alpha.

I don't know how anyone else could see this. I don't think anyone besides me uses the ES plugin. I just put it here.

I don't mind asking about this in the Everything support forum but I'd like to be well-informed. Rex, please see Post#3 and tell me how TCC handles the message filter business.

TCC does not do anything with the message filter. TCC does call Everything_Reset() when entering & exiting the EVERYTHING command.
Adjusting the message filter is absolutely necessary if the Everything client is un-elevated (normal, I reckon) and TCC is elevated. Without adjusting the message filter, the Everything client won't be able to send search results to the EVERYTHING command (via WM_COPYDATA).

Try it: Stop the client (everything.exe -quit) if need be ... then from an unelevated TCC, everything.exe -startup ... then in an elevated TCC, EVERYTHING produces no output.

I tried everything for the first time yesterday. The service is running. Everything absolutely wouldn't return anything, ever, no matter what.

The user-mode client must also be running. Start it with EVERYTHING.EXE -startup.. You should see two see two EXEs in TaskMgr, the service and the client.

The user-mode client must also be running. Start it with EVERYTHING.EXE -startup.. You should see two see two EXEs in TaskMgr, the service and the client.
Thanks, that got it working for me! Stuck that into my autoexec.btm :)

Thanks, that got it working for me! Stuck that into my autoexec.btm :)
You only have to do that once. If you don't stop it (everything.exe -quit) the client will run forever. What's autoexec.btm? By default (I think) the client will give you a tray icon from which you can open a GUI search dialog. "EVERYTHING /E" (the internal command) should also open that dialog.

You only have to do that once. If you don't stop it (everything.exe -quit) the client will run forever.

Thanks! I just want to be able to use the command and have it actually work. Sounds like the client needs to be running at all times to do that.

What's autoexec.btm?

Remember autoexec.bat from the DOS days?

It's just my startup script for once i've logged in.

By default (I think) the client will give you a tray icon from which you can open a GUI search dialog. "EVERYTHING /E" (the internal command) should also open that dialog.

It will actually bring that GUI dialog up if you say "everything" with no parameters at all.

Sadly, the GUI doesn't have a checkbox for the -start option you mentioned.

Sadly, the GUI doesn't have a checkbox for the -start option you mentioned.
Don't know what you mean. You won't even see the GUI dialog if the client hasn't been started. The options dialog has
1686671755320.png

I never used it but I imagine it does what your logon script does.

I vaguely remember the AutoExecNT service (two decades (+) ago?). I used it for something important but I can't remember what.

Don't know what you mean. You won't even see the GUI dialog if the client hasn't been started.

We must be talking about 2 different things, and I'm probably using the wrong terminology because I'm new to everything. I'm talking about how if you do a "*everything", it brings up this:

1686672487873.png

If this dialog had a "start service" checkbox, then I would have known the answer to my question without having had to ask.

But yea, I prefer to put my startup stuff in my own script rather than rely on GUI checkboxes that affect windows startup settings.

Why? Beucase that way, when i go to a new computer, I don't have to re-do it. The startup script is already there and already starts up what I want without [much] interaction from me.

For giggles, here's mine, it's fairly simple:

Code:
@Echo OFF
 cls

REM sometimes we're in a stage in our life where we want this 
REM scriptto open itself up in a text editor every time we reboot
        SET EDIT_SELF=0

REM Above all else, the music must flow
        if "%MACHINENAME%" eq "%MUSICSERVERMACHINENAME%" (call winamp)

REM Occasionally something glitches and it wants to run this in a new TCC window. 
REM This gives us a chance to stop it, if we are there and present
        call pause-for-x-seconds 30 "* Press any key to run autoexec..."

REM Log each run of this:
        echo * %0 run at at %_DATETIME>>c:\logs\reboots-%MACHINENAME%.log

REM Startup various programs
        call  chrome
        call  opera
        call  m-d
        call  bsr
        call  start-everything

rem EDIT THIS SCRIPT, IF SO INSTRUCTED:
        if %EDIT_SELF eq 1 (