Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Take command does not start on Windows 10

Jun
I installed latest version on Win10.
If I click the shortcut, the cursor changes shortly but no Take command GUI is shown.
If I run the Windows Compatibility troubleshooter and test the program the GUI does appear.
Saving those settings and then try to run from shortcut the UI still does not start.

The windows eventviewer entry:
Faulting application name: tcmd.exe, version: 27.1.23.0, time stamp: 0x6087924b
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17763.1879, time stamp: 0x932fd580
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000005e4eb
Faulting process id: 0x4e24
Faulting application start time: 0x01d75919a08c0d28
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD27\tcmd.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 1cc49dc2-50be-497b-83a9-95bbb3897785
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

There is no (exception) log file at C:\ProgramData\JP Software\Take Command 27

Can you help me with this problem?

Kind regards,
John

Is this an initial installation, or an upgrade of an existing (& running) install?

First, go to your installation directory and try running TCC.EXE and see if that starts. (TCMD will try to start TCC when it loads.) We need to isolate which module is causing the issue.

If TCC works, then try starting TCMD without TCMD.INI (using the /N startop option). If that works, we need to isolate what's gone wrong in your .INI.

If that doesn't work, try running REGEDIT and deleting the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JP Software\Take Command 27" key. (TCMD will recreate it automatically when it starts.)

It is an initial installation.

When I double click tcc.exe it starts

When I start tcmd from windows admin command prompt it starts with and without /N startup option
Double click tcmd from explorer does not start. Added /N to shortcut, also does not start

Content of TCMD.ini:
[Toolbar1]
Title=Untitled
[ViewMode]
Style=4

Deleted the registry key but the result was the same. From command prompt tcmd starts, double click does not start it.

Running tcmd.exe from batch file also starts it (cmd /C "C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD27\tcmd.exe"). Unfortunately the initial command prompt windows does not close until Take Command is closed or I close it deliberately myself.

Is there any news on this issue? Today I installed the latest version but the problem is still not solved.

@Donald Williams

What happens if you try with the full path? As example here for v28.x:

"C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD28\tcc.exe"

Try that please in a Command Prompt to see if you receive any messages (errors) ...