dir failure with some unicode characters

  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
#1
TCC 11.00.52 Windows 7 [Version 6.1.7600]
TCC Build 52 Windows 7 Build 7600

Using a TCC tab inside TCMD.

I have a file named U+0999.txt, i.e. a single Unicode character 0x0999
followed by the extension .txt: ঙ.txt

When this file exists and I do a *dir, that one line is rendered as if the
font size were reduced by about 30%. As I start to mouse-mark over it, the
marked region is normal size until I come to the unicode character, and then
the rendering goes back to the reduced size. The marked region captures what
ought to be captured, not what is visibly captured.


--
Jim Cook
2010 Mondays: 4/4, 6/6, 8/8, 10/10, 12/12 and 5/9, 9/5, 7/11, 11/7.
Next year they're Tuesday.
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
10,096
85
#2
> When this file exists and I do a *dir, that one line is rendered as if the
> font size were reduced by about 30%. As I start to mouse-mark over it, the
> marked region is normal size until I come to the unicode character, and
then

> the rendering goes back to the reduced size. The marked region captures
> what ought to be captured, not what is visibly captured.
This can't have anything to do with DIR. It is most likely a font issue --
what font(s) are you using in your (hidden) console window and in TCMD?
 
#3
I just downloaded the newest DejaVu font from sourceforge for my TCMD
window. How do I find out the font in the hidden console?

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 09:45, rconn <> wrote:


> ---Quote---
> > When this file exists and I do a *dir, that one line is rendered as if
> the
> > font size were reduced by about 30%. As I start to mouse-mark over it,
> the
> > marked region is normal size until I come to the unicode character, and
> ---End Quote---
> then
>
>
> ---Quote---
> > the rendering goes back to the reduced size. The marked region captures
> > what ought to be captured, not what is visibly captured.
> ---End Quote---
> This can't have anything to do with DIR. It is most likely a font issue --
> what font(s) are you using in your (hidden) console window and in TCMD?
>
>
>
>
>


--
Jim Cook
2010 Mondays: 4/4, 6/6, 8/8, 10/10, 12/12 and 5/9, 9/5, 7/11, 11/7.
Next year they're Tuesday.
 
#4
I enabled unicode output and created a unicode text file with the output
from *dir. Using both WordPad and UltraEdit editors, I see similar odd
behavior.

Clearly, there's some generic font rendering issue that is not JPSoft's
fault.

Sorry for the initial pointed finger. I stand corrected.

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 09:55, Jim Cook <> wrote:


> I just downloaded the newest DejaVu font from sourceforge for my TCMD
> window. How do I find out the font in the hidden console?
>
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 09:45, rconn <> wrote:
>
>
>
> ---Quote---
> > ---Quote---
> > > When this file exists and I do a *dir, that one line is rendered as if
> > the
> > > font size were reduced by about 30%. As I start to mouse-mark over it,
> > the
> > > marked region is normal size until I come to the unicode character, and
> > ---End Quote---
> > then
> >
> >
> > ---Quote---
> > > the rendering goes back to the reduced size. The marked region captures
> > > what ought to be captured, not what is visibly captured.
> > ---End Quote---
> > This can't have anything to do with DIR. It is most likely a font issue
> --
> > what font(s) are you using in your (hidden) console window and in TCMD?
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> ---End Quote---
>
>
> --
> Jim Cook
> 2010 Mondays: 4/4, 6/6, 8/8, 10/10, 12/12 and 5/9, 9/5, 7/11, 11/7.
> Next year they're Tuesday.
>
>
>
>
>


--
Jim Cook
2010 Mondays: 4/4, 6/6, 8/8, 10/10, 12/12 and 5/9, 9/5, 7/11, 11/7.
Next year they're Tuesday.
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
10,096
85
#5
> I just downloaded the newest DejaVu font from sourceforge for my TCMD
> window. How do I find out the font in the hidden console?
Start a console window (or detach the TCC tab window), click on the icon on
the title bar, then select Preferences/Font. If you're not using a Unicode
font (for example, if you're using Raster Fonts), bad things are going to
happen when you try to display Unicode characters.
 
#6
---- Original Message ----
From: rconn
| Quote:
| If you're not using a Unicode font (for example, if you're using Raster Fonts),
| bad things are going to happen when you try to display Unicode characters.

How is one to know whether or not a particular font is a Unicode one?
--
Steve