OT: Windows console history?

Maybe I should have known this, or did know it at some time in the distant past, but ...

If, in the same Windows console (TCC, CMD, PS), I run FTP.EXE ... close FTP.EXE ... run FTP.EXE again, the commands entered in the first FTP.EXE session are remembered in the second and can be recalled with Up/Down. The same goes for PowerShell and interactive NSLOOKUP.EXE sessions. So it seems that any given Windows console (regardless of who started it) has an app-specific history. Is this documented ... customizable? Does anything in the Win32 API relate to it?

Yeah, I saw those. I had never paid much attention to them. The two functions you mentioned are only for set-up. Do you know an app actually uses the mechanism ... or how TCC manages not to use it?

Don't really know, but I think I can guess. That console history mechanism probably only applies to apps which use ReadFile() to get lines from the console. TCC doesn't; it reads individual keystrokes and assembles lines itself.
NSLOOKUP doesn't import ReadFile. FTP does, but I'll bet only for reading scripts. I was thinking (maybe) data gets into the history via gets/wgets and (again maybe) it's those functions which are processing Up/Down. I'd like to know more about it.

Some of it is spelled out here: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/doskey.mspx?mfr=true
I think it applies to the "doskey" mechanism itself rather than to DOSKEY.EXE.

Certain character-based, interactive programs, such as program debuggers or file transfer programs (FTP), automatically use Doskey.exe. To use Doskey.exe, a program must be a console process and use buffered input. Program key assignments override doskey key assignments. For example, if the program uses the F7 key for some function, you cannot get a doskey command history in a pop-up window.

With Doskey.exe you can maintain a command history for each program you start, repeat and edit previous commands at the program's prompt, and start doskey macros created for the program. If you exit and then restart a program from the same Command Prompt window, the command history from the previous program session is available.

NSLOOKUP doesn't import ReadFile. FTP does, but I'll bet only for reading scripts. I was thinking (maybe) data gets into the history via gets/wgets and (again maybe) it's those functions which are processing Up/Down. I'd like to know more about it.
You were correct. I tried a few ways of getting a string from the keyboard in a console app ... wgets, _wgets_s, ReadFile, ReadConsole. The all put the string in the console's history (to be available to the next instance). No doubt those, and others, ultimately call ReadFile. It's no surprise I didn't see NSLOOKUP importing ReadFile; it uses fgets and is dynamically with MSVCRT.DLL.