Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to? TCC 29 slow switching between tab windows.

Feb
When I set up multiple TCC windows using Ctrl-t or some other method, takes much longer (2 - 3 seconds) to switch windows than on TCC 28. Is this a known behavior and will it speed up in the future?

Thanks - K1EA

Not reproducible here on Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64 [19045.2546] [22H2] [de-CH] TCMD 29.00.17 x64 ...

EDIT: typo

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm running Windows 11 on a big machine (20 core, 4.5 GHz). This could easily be a windows problem because windows received some updates around the same time. This is irritating, but not a showstopper.

Thanks Rex. Ctrl-T is very fast, it's just clicking on other tabs that is slow. Mostly I wanted to know if others had run into this, and how they worked around it.

I upgraded from TCMD28 and TCC28 to TCMD29 and TCC29, but switching tabs is still slow. This isn't worth anybody's time, so let's close it.

thanks - Ken

It seemed like I had the same problem with switching tabs on TCMD v28 on Windows 10 Pro. I don't seem to have that problem on Windows 11 with either v28 or v29, but I'm having a different problem (see post about Take Command crashing under Windows 11).

I don't use Take Command. I have been using TCC since it was 4DOS, but these days I run TCC in Windows Terminal. If you haven't tried Windows Terminal, you should give it a try.

I installed Windows Terminal -- and it seems pretty good. At least tab switching is fast like I was used to. Like you, I started with 4DOS, later 4NT, in the early 90s. I even have the spiral bound manual around here somewhere.

I may try Windows Terminal and tcc for a month but would rather use tcmd/tcc as a one vendor solution. I often have 5 to 10 tabs open in as many directories and switch between them often so a one second delay is noticeable, but not a show stopper.

I didn't know that. Last I knew (years ago), was that we shouldn't set COMSPEC to tcc because of incompatibility problems in programs other than tcc.

COMSPEC is a red herring. The time to change tabs is proportional to the number of tabs jumped. For example, if I have 10 tabs open the time to jump from tab1 to tab10 is much longer than from tab9 to tab10.

Damn, I wish I was slower with the enter key. The time to change from any tab to any tab gets longer with the total number of tabs open.