Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TPIPE?

May
IPTOCOUNTRY.HEX is a 116402-line file that looks like this.
Code:
v:\> head v:\IpToCountry.hex
00000000,00FFFFFF,ZZ
01000000,010000FF,AU
01000100,010001FF,CN
01000200,010003FF,CN
01000400,010007FF,AU
01000800,01000FFF,CN
01001000,01001FFF,JP
01002000,01003FFF,CN
01004000,01007FFF,JP
01008000,0100FFFF,TH

I tried reversing it with
Code:
tpipe /input=iptocountry.hex /sort=0,1,0,1,8

15 minutes later, it was still running, using all of one processor ("sort /r IpToCountry.hex" takes a couple seconds).

When I tried to interrupt it with Ctrl-C, I got "tpipe.EXE has stopped working ...". I told Windows to "Close the program" ...

---------------------------
Error
Runtime error 217 at 00010524
OK

Will TPIPE.EXE be linked to an internal TPIPE (like SHRALIAS.EXE) so it doesn't have to be in the path?

There is something *very* strange about that file. TPIPE is actually sorting it, albeit very slowly (it took about 20 minutes on my system). I created a similar file that was about 3.5 Mb with 300,000 lines that sorts in 2.1 seconds, so I know it's not an issue with the file size or number of lines.

I'll send the file to the textpipeengine.dll developers to test.

There is something *very* strange about that file. TPIPE is actually sorting it, albeit very slowly (it took about 20 minutes on my system). I created a similar file that was about 3.5 Mb with 300,000 lines that sorts in 2.1 seconds, so I know it's not an issue with the file size or number of lines.

Did you look at the file's contents? It's hardly "strange". I made that file with TCC. The original (iptocountry.csv, link below) has the same number of lines, but with the IPs in non-dotted decimal numeric form. TPIPE /SORT chokes on it similarly.

FYI:

Code:
copy "http://software77.net/geo-ip/?DL=2 -O /path/IpToCountry.csv.zip"

The crash when interrupting with Ctrl-C happens with all files (that give you a change to do so). Did you fix that?

Does TPIPE have a global option (/tee?) to write to stdout as well as an output file?

These:
Code:
v:\> tpipe /?
TPIPE: The system cannot find the file specified.
"CON:"

v:\> tpipe

1. cause \aemail\datamystic.log to be created and written to
2. should produce a more useful result

These:
Code:
v:\> tpipe /?

v:\> tpipe

1. cause \aemail\datamystic.log to be created and written to

WAD. I put it back in for the duration of the beta.

2. should produce a more useful result

Code:
help tpipe

produces a useful result. "tpipe /?" producing several pages of output (that you couldn't use anyway without referring to the help) would not be a useful result.

WAD. I put it back in for the duration of the beta.

Code:
help tpipe

produces a useful result. "tpipe /?" producing several pages of output (that you couldn't use anyway without referring to the help) would not be a useful result.

I agree; you're not going to get any useful TPIPE help in the console. But "TPIPE" and "TPIPE /?" producing an error message is equally useless. Users are going to do that. Let them give the brief message "try HELP TPIPE" or even take you directly to the help.

I agree; you're not going to get any useful TPIPE help in the console. But "TPIPE" and "TPIPE /?" producing an error message is equally useless. Users are going to do that. Let them give the brief message "try HELP TPIPE" or even take you directly to the help.

I can do that, provided you don't mind TPIPE loading significantly slower (because it has to load Internet Explorer as well).

I can do that, provided you don't mind TPIPE loading significantly slower (because it has to load Internet Explorer as well).
Well you know how I feel about speed. :)
Must it load IE just to output the message "Try HELP TPIPE" and quit?

My vote would be to spit out the usage syntax with the comment to load the help for additional information.
Code:
TPIPE [/input=filename] [/output=filename] [/filter=filename] [/unicode=input,output]
[/save=filename] [/simple=n[u]] [/eol=input,output,length]
[/line=start,increment,skipblank,dontnumberblank,format] [/insert=position,type,string]
[/head=Exclude,LinesOrBytes,Count] [/tail=Exclude,LinesOrBytes,Count] [/number=type,value]
[/string=type,string] [/file=type,filename]
[/dup=RemoveDuplicateLines,IgnoreCase,StartColumn,Length,IncludeOne] [/comment=text]
[/log=LogFileName] [/run=InputFileName,OutputFileName,"CommandLine"] [/merge=type,filename]
[/split=type,SplitSize,SplitChar,SplitCharPos,SplitCharCount,SplitLines,SplitFilename ]
[/grep=Type,IncludeLineNumbers,IncludeFilename,IgnoreCase,CountMatches,UTF8,PatternType,Pattern]
[/replace=Type,MatchCase,WholeWord,CaseReplace,PromptOnReplace,Extract,FirstOnly,SkipPromptIdentical,Action,SearchStr,ReplaceStr]
[/xml=Type,IncludeText,IncludeQuotes,MatchCase,BufferSize,Tag,Attribute,EndTag]

Type HELP TPIPE for additional detail

I like Scott's suggestion.
Me too. After using TPIPE for a while, people will become more familiar with it but will still need the occasional pointer. I much prefer a command summary and a "go see the help" instead of just "go see the help".

TPIPE is a very complicated command. I suspect most will need to be looking at its detailed help every time the use it (for quite a while). The best solution might be something like NETSH's help ...

Code:
TPIPE /GREP /? (et c.)

but I wouldn't blame Rex for not wanting to go there. :-)

Also ... TPIPE should have a /CUT option (filter text by column/field). I couldn't do without CUT.EXE

Will TPIPE.EXE be linked to an internal TPIPE (like SHRALIAS.EXE) so it doesn't have to be in the path?

Heh. That's why I can't run tpipe. Good to know. I assumed it was spec'd and documented, but perhaps had not been finished yet, and that's why I wasn't seeing it. I suppose it's alias time.

Soooo.... What's the deal with DEBUGMONITOR then? That's the main reason I upgraded (the other stuff is way cool, don't get me wrong).
[d:\src\steamrack\rel\rack\src\overlay\gameoverlayrenderer]DEBUGMONITOR
TCC: Unknown command "DEBUGMONITOR"

Mon May 21, 2012, 4:40:10p (exit stat: 2)
[d:\src\steamrack\rel\rack\src\overlay\gameoverlayrenderer]ver /r

TCC 14.00.15 x64 Windows 7 [Version 6.1.7601]
TCC Build 15 Windows 7 Build 7601 Service Pack 1

My vote would be to spit out the usage syntax with the comment to load the help for additional information.
Code:
TPIPE [/input=filename] [/output=filename] [/filter=filename] [/unicode=input,output]
[/save=filename] [/simple=n[u]] [/eol=input,output,length]
[/line=start,increment,skipblank,dontnumberblank,format] [/insert=position,type,string]
[/head=Exclude,LinesOrBytes,Count] [/tail=Exclude,LinesOrBytes,Count] [/number=type,value]
[/string=type,string] [/file=type,filename]
[/dup=RemoveDuplicateLines,IgnoreCase,StartColumn,Length,IncludeOne] [/comment=text]
[/log=LogFileName] [/run=InputFileName,OutputFileName,"CommandLine"] [/merge=type,filename]
[/split=type,SplitSize,SplitChar,SplitCharPos,SplitCharCount,SplitLines,SplitFilename ]
[/grep=Type,IncludeLineNumbers,IncludeFilename,IgnoreCase,CountMatches,UTF8,PatternType,Pattern]
[/replace=Type,MatchCase,WholeWord,CaseReplace,PromptOnReplace,Extract,FirstOnly,SkipPromptIdentical,Action,SearchStr,ReplaceStr]
[/xml=Type,IncludeText,IncludeQuotes,MatchCase,BufferSize,Tag,Attribute,EndTag]

Type HELP TPIPE for additional detail

That's incomprehensible to me -- do you often say "Darn, I know my options are 1,4,22,8,0,1, but I just can't remember what the switch name is?"