Command execution slows down in TCC Prompt after a while

Aug 26, 2020
I am running TCC 25.00.30 x64 on windows 10 and have a problem with TCC slowing down significantly almost to a crawl after many commands are run. I have long running build scripts cmake and makefiles. They start out fast but I come back to them after an hour and they are running slow. Each line of output is exceedingly slow (several second per line) and it doesn't matter if its a compile command or a simple copy command. when they end any new commands I type in the window - even simple ones like "dir" take a long time to execute. the display output is like one line per second for a directory listing of 10 files.

The only solution is to close the TCC window and restart it. Then all commands are fast again but again slow down again eventually if a lot are run.

I tried "clear buffer" but that does not help as I think it has something to do with the scroll buffer getting full. this is happening on every machine I have TCC installed on.

Any ideas of what it could be? Is there an option somewhere that I am missing.

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
Is this in a Windows console or a Take Command tab window?

If you're running TCC in a Windows console, Windows is handling all of the display output. The only thing that TCC could be doing to slow down output is if you have logging enabled (especially output logging).

Aug 26, 2020
its a tcc tabbed window. Output logging is not enabled - actually no logging is enabled

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020
after detaching the tab it appears to be back to normal speed in its own console window. the screen buffer size is 5000 rows. new tabs in the TCC prompt are slow (once it slows down) again the only way to get the tcc prompt fast again is to restart it

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
I'm unable to reproduce any problems here (even after scrolling several million lines).

Try a "CLS /C" (which will clear the screen buffer and restart at the beginning) and see if that makes a difference.

And what does the TCMD status bar show for the cpu & memory usage?

Aug 26, 2020
I was able to determine that this slowdown happens over remote desktop sessions. I suspect it has something to do with the RD protocol. It occurs with all RD sessions both on my local LAN and WAN so I don't think its a bandwidth issue. I am doing more testing now to verify - hopefully this may help to diagnose. I am trying to determine if its a legitimate slowdown and not just a display issue over RD.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Dmitry L. Kobyakov How to? How to remove the record of the old version of the Take Command? Support 5
D Can alias pass parameters to for command? Support 3
samintz How to? Search for %(command) in Help? Support 1
T VIEW only works from command line Support 14
rconn News Take Command / TCC / CMDebug / TCC-RT v28 Released Support 0
T Take Command 28: Lua reports version 5.4.0 (5.4.3 expected) Support 0
Jay Sage WAD Possible Bug With OPTION Command With @FILE Support 5
rconn News Take Command / TCC / CMDebug / TCC-RT 27.01.24 uploaded Support 0
J Take command does not start on Windows 10 Support 3
vefatica `Back quotes` - command line vs. batch file Support 5
Jay Sage WAD Failure of Alias Command with /Z Option Support 14
Phileosophos Is there any way to open the Take Command options dialog from the command line? Support 8
Phileosophos Command-line Editing Shortkeys That Fail Support 6
fpefpe How to? free (internal) command Support 0
rconn News Take Command / TCC / CMDebug / TCC-RT 27.01.23 uploaded Support 0
T How to? retain command history across reboot? Support 6
rconn News Take Command / TCC / CMDebug / TCC-RT v27.01 Build 22 Uploaded Support 0
Jay Sage Bug With Flow Control and/or Command Grouping Support 2
GermanDirk How to? EVENTLOG Command with simple User Rights not functional Support 4
Jay Sage Take Command Is Too Fast! Support 4
Jay Sage Comparison of IF with Command Group and IFF Support 6
D Open Windows 10 Photos app from command line Support 11
rconn News Take Command / TCC / CMDebug / TCC-RT 27.0.21 uploaded Support 0
rconn News Take Command / TCC / CMDebug / TCC-RT 27.0.20 uploaded Support 0
U Can not get/start Take Command gui Support 1
rconn News Take Command / TCC / CMDebug / TCC-RT 27.0.19 Support 0
S Increasing Font Point Size in Command Tabs Support 2
mfarah Fixed The DATE command produces the wrong error message. Support 1
vefatica Command name mix-up Support 3
FreezerBurnt "Missing SETLOCAL" when initializing Visual Studio Command Prompt. Support 9
E How to? Closing desktop created by DESKTOP command Support 10
rconn News Take Command / TCC / CMDebug / TCC-RT v27.0.18 Support 0
K Take Command fox XP? Support 7
Joe Caverly Documentation Replace internal command with LIBRARY command Support 0
fpefpe How to? command echo in title line/bar Support 2
U Command help on file names Support 5
vefatica Command line DO with no closing parenthesis? Support 9
vefatica Command history search is off Support 7
H How to? How can I say "if the command separator is not ~ then setdos /C~" Support 8
R Long commands retrieved from command history have blank line when wrapped Support 20
jpeni Take Command Language Examples Support 1
rconn News Take Command / TCC / CMDebug / TCC-RT 26.02.41 Uploaded Support 0
fpefpe winfr command Support 4
Dmitry L. Kobyakov Fixed The SETARRAY /R command works incorrectly with cyrillic files Support 2
M Selecting test "off by one" problem in Take command Support 4
Dmitry L. Kobyakov Documentation Error in the Help: the WINDOW command Support 0
R How to? Open Take Command at current folder Support 7
rconn News Take Command / TCC / CMDebug / TCC-RT 26.01.40 uploaded Support 0
C TEE command appending null characters to output Support 6
vefatica IDE external command syntax color? Support 1