1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

COPY returns ERRORLEVEL 2

Discussion in 'Support' started by Duke, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Duke

When copying a directory with only subdirectories, COPY return an ERRORLEVEL 2 as seen in the clip below. When directory "Appendix of SDD" is copied, the error occurs. Is there a way to force the COPY command to return a value of zero? Normally this is not an issue, but when COPY is called from a Python script, the program crashes.

Capture.JPG

2. Alpengreis

I would have a workaround only ... you could expanding your command line as follow:

Code:
    echo tmp > "o:\Test\test.tmp" & copy /D /F /H /J /K /V /Y /Z /S /MD /UF "o:\Test\" "d:\Projects\Test\" & del "o:\Test\test.tmp" & del "d:\Projects\Test\test.tmp" & echo %_?

Then the errorlevel should be 0 ... as you can see from my test example ...

Code:
    [D:\_Temp_]echo tmp > "d:\_Temp_\test\test.tmp" & copy /D /F /H /J /K /V /Y /Z /S /MD /UF "d:\_Temp_\test\" "d:\_Tests_\" & del "d:\_Temp_\test\test.tmp" & del "d:\_Tests_\test.tmp" & ECHO %_?
    D:\_Temp_\test\test.tmp => D:\_Tests_\test.tmp
         1 Datei kopiert
    Lösche D:\_Temp_\test\test.tmp
         1 Datei gelöscht
    Lösche D:\_Tests_\test.tmp
         1 Datei gelöscht

BTW: I have corrected the "/F/" param to "/F" because it's a typo?! However: should be not related to the errorlevel ...

#2 Alpengreis, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  3. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

WAD - COPY will return an error if it didn't copy any files. You can work around it by adding the /U option (or /C, depending on your circumstances). An attempted update (/U) isn't considered an error if the files are the same.

4. Duke

Does the /UF option the function in a similar manner? My command is using /UF.

ie: copy /D /F /H /J /K /V /Y /Z /S /MD /UF "o:\Test\" "d:\Projects\Test\"

5. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

No, /UF does not turn off the "file not found" error, though perhaps it should. I've added it to the list for a future version.

Are you actually still copying to/from FAT volumes?

6. Charles Dye

Charles Dye Super Moderator
    Staff Member

USB flash drives still typically come preformatted FAT. Other small media too, e.g. memory cards in digital cameras.