Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to? Copy TCMD.INI to New Version

Nov
I just upgraded from v23 to v24. I have used TCMD since it came out, and TCC for years before that, but never thought about the settings files. Can one copy the INI file from v23 to v24? Actually, is there an INI file in v23? I can't seem to find it in either the TCMD 23 folder, or in the AppData jpsoft folder.

The simpler question is whether there's a way to copy options/settings from one version to the other?

You can certainly copy your old .INI file into your v24 program directory. You may need to edit it afterwards, since some of the settings have changed. Keyboard-related stuff in particular; all the keyboard handling was totally revamped for v24.

I just upgraded from v23 to v24. I have used TCMD since it came out, and TCC for years before that, but never thought about the settings files. Can one copy the INI file from v23 to v24? Actually, is there an INI file in v23? I can't seem to find it in either the TCMD 23 folder, or in the AppData jpsoft folder.

The simpler question is whether there's a way to copy options/settings from one version to the other?

_ININAME returns the fully qualified pathname of the INI file used by the current shell.

Example on my Windows 7 system;
Code:
c:\users\jlc\utils>echo %_ininame
C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD24\TCMD.INI

Joe

I wonder when location of user ini file will be fixed?

It used to be fixed, and then (1) Microsoft broke it, and (2) I had hundreds of requests to make it configurable.

Why would you want it to be fixed? (It would make it difficult to have multiple TCC / TCMD versions, as you'd get error messages whenever you tried to start an older version.)

Fixed as in, located inside roaming part of user profile.
I get tired of manually restoring INI file on every new machine I login to.

It used to be fixed, and then (1) Microsoft broke it, and (2) I had hundreds of requests to make it configurable.

Why would you want it to be fixed? (It would make it difficult to have multiple TCC / TCMD versions, as you'd get error messages whenever you tried to start an older version.)

If there is one definite place it shouldn't be, that is in Program Files...