1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ftps gives "Unable to build data connection"

Discussion in 'Support' started by David Marcus, Jan 14, 2013.

1. David Marcus

This was working fine until recently. Not sure when I last tried it, but pretty sure it was working a month or two ago. Now, if I copy a file to my webserver via ftps, I get the error shown below. Plain ftp works fine and FileZilla has no problem with ftps.

Code:
    C:\TT\RatingsCentral\Code\Web>iftp /c

C:\TT\RatingsCentral\Code\Web>iftp /p1 /r "ftps://www.ratingscentral.com"
    The server provided the following certificate:
    Issuer: C=US, S=VA, L=City, O=Control Aaccess, OU=Control Aaccess, CN=virgo.dns-shield.com, E=support@virgo.dns-shie
    ld.com
    Subject: C=US, S=VA, L=City, O=Control Aaccess, OU=Control Aaccess, CN=virgo.dns-shield.com, E=support@virgo.dns-shi
    eld.com
    The following problems have been determined for this certificate: [0x800b0109] A certification chain processed corre
    ctly but terminated in a root certificate not trusted by the trust provider.

Would you like to continue? (Y/N)? Y

C:\TT\RatingsCentral\Code\Web>copy ModifyFormStuff.php "ftps:/httpdocs/"
    C:\TT\RatingsCentral\Code\Web\ModifyFormStuff.php => ftps://www.ratingscentral.com/httpdocs/ModifyFormStuff.php
    TCC: FTP protocol error: 425 Unable to build data connection: Operation not permitted "/httpdocs/ModifyFormStuff.php
    "
        0 files copied      1 failed

C:\TT\RatingsCentral\Code\Web>ver

TCC  14.03.58  Windows Vista [Version 6.0.6002]

2. David Marcus

It was working for a while (I believe), but the error has returned. TCC 15.01.50 Windows Vista [Version 6.0.6002].

3. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

I just successfully copied files to & from the JP Software ftp site via SSL, so I don't think it's a generic problem with TCC. A 425 error is usually caused by the server reusing the back connection client socket before Windows has timed it out (240 seconds default).

There's no way I could try to debug what's happening on your server without getting access to it.

4. David Marcus

I've emailed an ftp account username and password to support.

When I get the error, a zero-byte file is created on the server (overwriting the existing file, if there was one).

5. David Marcus

I still get the error with TCC 15.01.54.

6. David Marcus

Fixed in 16.01.46.