1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to? Path Changes

Discussion in 'Support' started by David McClelland, Oct 6, 2015.

1. David McClelland

I am running TCMD 18.00.32 x64 on Windows 7

Simple description: TCMD/TCC does not see changes I make to the PATH even after I stop TCMD and restart it. I change the PATH via control panel->System Properties

Detailed description:
    1) I stop all instances of TCMD/TCC.
    2) I change the path as described above. For example I add "c:\;" to the start of the path.
    3) I start TCMD/TCC and type in "path". My change is not displayed.
    4) I run "cmd" and type in "path". My change is displayed.
    5) I run "regedit" and go to "
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment"
    The change is set there.
    5) If I log out of my windows session and log back in TCMD/TCC DOES display my change.

So: Is there away other than logging out and back in to make TCMD/TCC see changes I make to the path environment variable.

2. Charles Dye

Charles Dye Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Are you by any chance doing anything to the PATH variable in your TCSTART file?

3. David McClelland

No I am not.

But I should have mentioned that I changed the "System" environment variable, not the user one.

David

4. vefatica

It all depends on how you are starting TCMD/TCC after the environment change. If you're using Explorer, TCMD/TCC should get the updated environment (because Explorer, and very few other apps, updates its own environment upon a system change). But if you're using some other app which has not updated it's environment to start TCMD/TCC, then TCMD/TCC will inherit the (un-updated) environment of that app.

P.S., Bottom line: Processes inherit the environment of their parent process.

5. David McClelland

Thanks so much. That is my problem.

David