Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Piping to new TCC instance crashes it

May
TCC 12,00,36 Windows XP [Version 5,1,2600]

Just saw a strange error at work.

Seems piping to a new TCC instance will crash the new (pipe) instance. The old instance is apparently "unharmed".

This only happens with one of my TCMD TCC tabs, other existing ones and new ones does not exhibit the problem.

Example commands that cause a crash:

*dir | *for %x in (@con) echo "%x"
*dir | *list
*dir | *list /C

This command does not crash TCC (maybe since there's no TCC in the pipe):
*dir | sort.exe

Call stack:

tcc.exe!00407174()
[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for tcc.exe]
tcc.exe!00401659()

I also sent the error information to Windows error reporting in case you have access to that. One dump file from WER is attached.

Edit: Tried to set WinDbg as default debugger (winDbg -I) in order to possibly get better call stack (seems VS2005 does not use _NT_SYMBOL_PATH), but now the problem can no longer be repeated for some reason. But I am sure this will be enough. ;)

Attachments

• c53a_appcompat.txt
    31.9 KB · Views: 249
TCC 12,00,36 Windows XP [Version 5,1,2600]
Seems piping to a new TCC instance will crash the new (pipe) instance. The old instance is apparently "unharmed".

This only happens with one of my TCMD TCC tabs, other existing ones and new ones does not exhibit the problem.

Not reproducible here, and the crash address is in Microsoft's code.

First, I'd recommend updating to the current build (you're 5 behind). If you can no longer reproduce it, I'd chalk it up to random memory corruption in that one TCC session.