1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PROMT command in TCSTART.BTM

Discussion in 'Support' started by Greg Wells, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Greg Wells

I'm running v10 on a Windows 7 machine. (Running 64-bit Windows 7.) I have the following command in my TCSTART.BTM:

PROMPT $z-$P$_===$g

I launch 4nt through a shortcut on my desktop. (I use 4NT.exe, not TCC.exe) My prompt correctly indicates that I am at shell 0. Hoever, if I type 4nt at the command prompt, the PROMPT still says shell #0. I know I am in a nested shell though, because it takes me two "exit"s to close the window.

Any ideas? (_shell seems to always be 0).
    Thanks.

Greg

2. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

Use TCC.EXE instead -- %_SHELL depends on finding a parent TCC.EXE process. (4NT.EXE is a copy of TCC.EXE, so everything else will behave the same.)

3. Greg Wells

Thanks Rex. So, what's the best way to solve this, given that I want use 4NT, and not TCC. (I'm a long-time 4NT purist. :))

Anyway, I tried launching my 4nt window, and then executing a series of "TCC" commands to create nested TCC shells. Again, I do not see the correct shell number incrementing from the PROMPT $z command. I was expecting this to increment with successive TCC commands.

So, basically two questions: 1. What's the cleanest way to solve this with "4NT" as my main command interface? 2. Why does my test with TCC also fail?

Additional info:
    Comspec=<My_Path><MY_PATH>4nt.exe

Thanks again. Great tool!

Greg

4. vefatica

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 22:52:58 -0500, Greg Wells <> wrote:

|So, basically two questions: 1. What's the cleanest way to solve this with "4NT" as my main command interface? 2. Why does my test with TCC also fail?

If a 4nt.exe starts a tcc.exe, you won't get a new shell number (as Rex said,
    tcc looks for a tcc parent). But if from the new tcc, you start another new tcc
    you will get a new shell number (because the parent tcc was found).

The solution: always use tcc (it's the same program).

It **is** the new name of the (good old) product.
    --
    - Vince