1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why did Windows create an encryption key?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Stefano Piccardi, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Stefano Piccardi

I'm not sure if what happened is linked to TCC or not, please help me understand.
    Code:
    copy ftp://mgppublic:public@mgpsoft.com/wcmenu.zip /G
    I was using the above to bring in wcmenu.zip from a remote system, which resulted in an 'invalid password' error (which isn't the issue). The first time my firewall prompted me to enable TCC as an ftp client, and I did. I repeated the copy command three or four times and it always failed with 'invalid password'. Then (this is the issue) Windows Security Center displayed a message saying that I should save file encryption credentials.
    What file encryption credentials? How did they get created? What file was encrypted? Where is it? I never used file encryption on this Windows 7 system, I don't even know how to turn it on/off.

2. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Stefano Piccardi

Not even the 3rd party network library?

4. Charles Dye

Charles Dye Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Do you have an FTP.CFG file?

5. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

Nope. But I suppose it's possible your firewall decided to do it after seeing several failed logins.

6. Stefano Piccardi

Bingo. A new, zero-sized FTP.CFG file appeared in my TCC folder, date and time correspond to when I attempted ftp copying, and file attribute E is enabled.