Help! Uninstalling TCC did not restore cmd.exe as Win10 default batch file processor.

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Aug 10, 2016
How do I restore cmd.exe as the default program for .bat files?

My TCC trial expired, so I uninstalled it. However, I am unable to run batch files on Win10 x64 because Windows lost it's association with a batch file command processor (default cmd.exe).

Apparently, you can't just associate a file type .bat with cmd.exe. There seems to be a number of registry entries that control cmd.exe and associate .bat files to that executable. I discovered this problem by trying to install software that used a batch file as part of it's installation routine...

cmd.exe not working on .bat files.jpg

How do I restore cmd.exe as the default program for .bat files?

Charles Dye

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 20, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
prospero.unm.edu
I posted a batch a few weeks back to reset the .BAT and .CMD to their defaults. But unfortunately, it's a Take Command batch file, and you've uninstalled Take Command....

I think this should work in an elevated CMD.EXE:
Code:
assoc .bat=batfile
assoc .cmd=cmdfile
ftype batfile="%1" %*
ftype cmdfile="%1" %*
Possibly only the first line, or the first two lines, is all you really need.

Aug 10, 2016
I posted a batch a few weeks back to reset the .BAT and .CMD to their defaults. But unfortunately, it's a Take Command batch file, and you've uninstalled Take Command....

I think this should work in an elevated CMD.EXE:
Code:
assoc .bat=batfile
assoc .cmd=cmdfile
ftype batfile="%1" %*
ftype cmdfile="%1" %*
Possibly only the first line, or the first two lines, is all you really need.
I reinstalled TCC and ran all 4 lines. No go. It didn't work

Aug 10, 2016
SOLVED

Hey Charles,

Thanks for the script. It DID work. I thought I had followed the steps you specified at first. But apparently I missed something because I gave it one more go today and my cmd.exe is restored and working.

I ran an elevated cmd.exe (as administrator) and entered each of the four lines of the script you provided one by one. Viola! Everything is back as it was.

Thanks!

Jim