1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automated download of the latest TCMD build

Discussion in 'Support' started by rfaquino, Jun 22, 2012.

1. rfaquino

Hello,

I have an automated script that copies JP Software's download web page to a file, parses it and then decides whether there is a new build available for download or not.

The line of code that performs the copy is this:
    Copy /q "http://jpsoft.com/all-downloads/downloads.html" %TCBuildFile%

This always worked fine, although sometimes I had to change the parser code to adjust to changes in the web page format.

Recently the command above is failing with the following error message:

TCC: C:\Batch\TCBuild.btm [94] HTTP protocol error. 403 Forbidden. "http://jpsoft.com/all-downloads/downloads.html"

I googled HTTP error 403 and learned there is some security feature on the server page that is preventing me from copying the page, although I can see easily the page source using browser tools on Firefox or IE.

Has something changed in the website security or am I doing something wrong?

This is absolutely no big deal, but I would like to understand the reasons why the script is failing. I know I can also check for updates using the TCMD window, but this requires manual intervention.

Thanks in advance,

Renato

2. JohnQSmith

If you use the Google Chrome browser, there is an AWESOME extension called "Page Monitor" by Max Shawabkeh. I use it to track updates on over 25 pages. Easy to use and very configurable.

3. rfaquino

Hi John, I tried Chrome in the past and didn't like it. I'm a Firefox guy. Thanks for the tip, anyway.

4. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

The site security was changed to block some vulnerabilities.

Unfortunately, the jpsoft.com web site is seeing more than 20K attempted illegal accesses *a day* now, so we've had to lock things down a lot more than in the past.

5. rfaquino

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the quick reply, Rex.

6. JohnQSmith

I've only tried it a little, but the Update Scanner by sneakypete81 appears to be an addon for Firefox comparable to Page Monitor.

7. Charles Dye

Charles Dye Super Moderator
    Staff Member

8. rfaquino

John and Charles, thanks a bunch for the suggestions. I went with GNU's wget, which did exactly what I was able to do with TCC's internal Copy command.

9. dcantor

I was able to download the web page to a file using LYNX, with a command line
    Code:
    lynx -dump http://jpsoft.com/all-downloads/downloads.html > x.tmp

The result is very parseable.

10. Steve Pitts

Seems kind of ironic that it is possible to access pages within the 'locked down' site using third-party tools but not via TCC ;)