Declined Help system improvements

Mar 1, 2019
It appears that Take Command uses the standard Windows Help system, which leaves a lot to be desired. The thing I would like most is to be able to have separate Favorites entries for each group of functions, something I need to reference often. The way the Help system always goes back to the top when you move between pages is very annoying.

It appears that Take Command uses the standard Windows Help system, which leaves a lot to be desired. The thing I would like most is to be able to have separate Favorites entries for each group of functions, something I need to reference often. The way the Help system always goes back to the top when you move between pages is very annoying.

Like this?

Joe

Mar 1, 2019
I'll try to be more clear. For example, the variable Functions by Category page is quite long. If I scroll down to string functions (what I want most often), for example, and then jump to something else and back to Variable Functions by Category, I am back at the top of that page and have to scroll down again. I have a large display (3840x2160) that shows a lot of text, so that's not the problem.

Mar 1, 2019
Hmm, I never noticed that it is possible to do that. It provides the most important thing I want. Thanks.

May 20, 2008
Syracuse, NY, USA
Favorites (and many other things) are remembered in "%userprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\HTML Help\hh.dat". That file is "global" with respect to HTML help. [I have some real antiques in mine!] Favs seem to be remembered with a user-given name and an HTML help locator (see below). I don't know for sure, but I'd be very surprised if updating TCMD.CHM would change anything.

Code:
..F.u.n.c.t.i.o.n.s.:. .s.t.r.i.n.g.s. .a.n.d. .c.h.a.r.a.c.t.e.r.s...m.k.:.@.M.S.I.T.S.t.o.r.e.:.G.:.\.t.c.2.4.\.T.C.M.D...C.H.M.:.:./.f.u.n.c.t.i.o.n.c.a.t.s...h.t.m.#.s.t.r.i.n.g.s.a.n.d.c.h.a.r.a.c.t.e.r.s

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Joe Caverly Link in Help File to Blog Articles Suggestions 0
Joe Caverly Declined Update FFIND in Help File with example for ORing expressions to search for Suggestions 6
x13 Done Typo in help file (including PDF) | v24.02.46 Suggestions 0
R User-created extended help (probably in a text file): DIRHISTORY /?x Suggestions 10
R Done Add to Pause Help text re indenting the prompt Suggestions 0
N Done Update help (more) and new tutorials Suggestions 8
Joe Caverly Declined Help File "See Also" Suggestions 4
rps Declined Remember the Help "Select Topic" window settings Suggestions 4
C Done Help suggestion TCMD Suggestions 3
M Declined A sticky thread to report HELP issues Suggestions 0
rconn Declined Help file organization Suggestions 0
rconn In the Help tab let the user add links either to files or web pages, with an icon & label. Suggestions 0
R Documentation CLARIFY START /C HELP Suggestions 0
R Done Just a Help addition - Alias name can use variables Suggestions 1
R Done Just a Help addition - Set can indirectly set variables Suggestions 0
Alpengreis Declined Any chance for quick help with all command-options? Suggestions 3
Roedy Done better redirection help Suggestions 1
Roedy Done Augmented Help Suggestions 0
T Done Help for SET to include @ExecStr[] hint Suggestions 1
S Declined Plugin Help Suggestions 2
S Done Command and help enhancement, esp. ALIAS, FUNCTION and SET Suggestions 2
Charles Dye Done v11 suggestion: plugin online help interface Suggestions 0
Charles Dye Declined Help file request Suggestions 2
S Done Debugger window HELP pulldown menu Suggestions 3
E Done move @unquote, @unquotes in help docs Suggestions 0
R Declined Zero-padded date and time system variables, e.g., _monthzp, _dayzp, _doyzp Suggestions 20
Charles Dye Done Option to prevent recursion into System subdirectories Suggestions 0
R Done System variable with TCC folder path Suggestions 8
R Done Add a .btm LIBRARY system Suggestions 12
rconn Done map the registry as a file system Suggestions 0
MikeBaas Done Macro recorder improvements Suggestions 0
N Installer/Updater improvements Suggestions 1
Dmitry L. Kobyakov Done The list pane in the TCMD: some improvements Suggestions 0