Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WAD Setlocal issue

Jul
Setlocal is removing aliases when used in V21.00.28
This is only when using setlocal/endlocal in an alias. Batch files aren't affected.
Code:
v21.00.28
C:\JPSoft>alias test=`setlocal & ech This is a test alias to determine what aliases are active after issuing a setlocal command
& endlocal`

v21.00.28
C:\JPSoft>test
TCC: Unknown command "ech"

v21.00.28
C:\JPSoft>alias ech
if .%1 eq . (ah ech) else (echo. & echo %$ & echo.)
Hopefully this was behavior unintentional. If so, the documentation needs clarification.
V17, V19, & V20 acts as expected. No V18 to test. V20 example:
Code:
v20.11.46
C:\JPSoft\tcmd20x64>alias test
setlocal & ech This is a test alias to determine what aliases are active after issuing a setlocal command & endlocal

v20.11.46
C:\JPSoft\tcmd20x64>test

This is a test alias to determine what aliases are active after issuing a setlocal command

Thanks for the WAD clarification.

I did read the "What's New", as well as other documentation such as Setlocal and Endlocal...

For me, this "copying global aliases to a local list" didn't equate to aliases literally not working within a Setlocal/Endlocal pair used in an alias definition and aliases working when used in a batch file.

If I change to local aliases within an alias before using a Setlocal/Endlocal pair will the specific alias have access to these local aliases without redefining them inside the Setlocal/Endlocal pair?

So does this mean in order to use the copied "local list" I have to reload aliases within the actual alias?

A better question is; how do I use this local alias list within an alias that uses a Setlocal/Endlocal pair?

Is this new behavior something that could be an option to turn on/off? If so, I will add it to the suggestion Forum.

I recommend an explicit clarification be added to the help files. "Aliases do not work with a Setlocal/Endlocal pair within alias definitions. Batch file behavior is not affected."

SETLOCAL in v21 was changed to preserve global aliases (by request from a number of users). If you use local aliases, you can add/modify/delete them inside the SETLOCAL and the change will be preserved after the ENDLOCAL.
So I tried using local aliases with an alias using a set/endlocal pair.

I don't see that the newly defined alias NEW1 is preserved after the ENDLOCAL as I understand your quoted response above. Clearly I don't understand how this is supposed to work. :banghead:
Code:
v21.00.28
C:\JPSoft>ver

TCC  21.00.28 x64   Windows 10 [Version 10.0.14393]
v21.00.28
C:\JPSoft>alias test5=`alias /L & a New1 & echo. & setlocal & ech Testing.... & alias New1= `echo this is a test of adding alias New1`  &  New1 & endlocal & ech After the endlocal & a New1`
v21.00.28
C:\JPSoft>alias /l
v21.00.28
C:\JPSoft>test5
          Aliases Beginning with New1*
TCC: Not an alias "New1*"

Testing....

this is a test of adding alias New1

After the endlocal

Aliases Beginning with New1*

TCC: Not an alias "New1*"
Just to be clear, here are the aliases used in the above TEST5 alias.
ECH & A both work inside TEST5 once I set LOCAL aliases. They both fail, inside TEST5 without the "alias /L", as I now understand the document.
Code:
v21.00.28
C:\JPSoft>alias ech
if .%1 eq . (ah ech) else (echo. & echo %$ & echo.)
v21.00.28
C:\JPSoft>alias a
 iff .%1 == . then & (ah a) & elseiff isalias %1 then & (fa %1 & echo. & *alias %1) & else & (echo. & Scrput -1 10 Bri Red on W
hi Aliases Beginning with %1* & echo. & *alias %1* & echo.) & endiff