Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TCSTART issue after reinstallation

Aug
I've been using TCC for sometime but recently had an unrelated system crash that required the reinstallation of Windows 10 and all of the programs which I had previously installed. TCC was pretty straight forward, but I'm having an issue with setting up my aliased,

d:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD21\TCSTART reads:

alias /r d:\pyproj\alias.lst

And d:\pyproj\alias.lst reads

edit=notepad++.exe
dpy=cdd d:\pyproj
lists=cdd c:\Users\borge\desktop\peerless\lists
build=cdd c:\Users\borge\desktop\peerless\build
work=cdd c:\Users\borge\desktop\peerless\working
root=cdd c:\Users\borge
bat=dir d:\pyproj\*.bat
subst w: c:\Users\borge\desktop\peerless\working

But none of the shortcuts in alias.lst work. What have I missed?

Dave

Forgive me if this is obvious, but your TCSTART file does have a .BTM extension, right?

Did you re/install TCMD/TCC into d:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD21 ?

If a new TCMD.INI is being used, it may not have a (correct) TCStartPath entry. Find out quickly with
Code:
option TCStartPath

Did you re/install TCMD/TCC into d:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD21 ?
I believe so. Actually the techs backed up and restored my D drive. I had to reinstall a lot of programs while some seemed to run from the restore without reinstallation. But I'm pretty sure I reinstalled TCC.

Are you sure that TCStart is being executed? You could temporarily add an ECHO or PAUSE command to check.

It is blank. TCStartPath=
Even so, if TCSTART.BTM is in the same directory as TCC.EXE, it should be found. If, as your first post suggests, the file is named simply "TCSTART", that won't work. TCSTART must have an (executable) extension; .BTM seems the natural choice.

So check ...

that TCSTART has an (executable) extension (like .BTM).

and (one of these)

TCSTART.BTM is in the same directory as TCC.EXE

or

edit the INI file (notepad %_ininame) and set TCStartPath to the directory where TCSTART.BTM is.

Even so, if TCSTART.BTM is in the same directory as TCC.EXE, it should be found. If, as your first post suggests, the file is named simply "TCSTART", that won't work. TCSTART must have an (executable) extension; .BTM seems the natural choice.

So check ...

that TCSTART has an (executable) extension (like .BTM).

and (one of these)

TCSTART.BTM is in the same directory as TCC.EXE

TCSTART.BTM (the file I have been calling TCSTART) is in the same directory as TCC,EXE, The TCSTART file is the one from my original 2017 installation.

TCSTART.BTM (the file I have been calling TCSTART) is in the same directory as TCC,EXE, The TCSTART file is the one from my original 2017 installation.
I'm running out of ideas. As Charles Dye suggested, put something in TCSTART.BTM to let you know it runs. At least temporarily, I'd suggest doing this to TCSTART.BTM.

remove any commands that clear the screen
use "@ECHO ON" as the first line (to be sure you see the commands)
right after "alias /r d:\pyproj\alias.lst" add two lines
Code:
alias
pause

It ought to be pretty clear whether or not TCSTART.BTM is being run and, if it is, what it's doing.

I'm running out of ideas. As Charles Dye suggested, put something in TCSTART.BTM to let you know it runs. At least temporarily, I'd suggest doing this to TCSTART.BTM.

remove any commands that clear the screen
use "@ECHO ON" as the first line (to be sure you see the commands)
right after "alias /r d:\pyproj\alias.lst" add two lines
Code:
alias
pause

It ought to be pretty clear whether or not TCSTART.BTM is being run and, if it is, what it's doing.

It came back blank, but while I was there I also went into the setup screen and entered the path, restarted tcc and it printed the alias. I re-edited TCSTART and dropped out the additions, re-started tcc and typed alias and the aliases displayed and functioned correctly. So I guess the path was needed.

Thanks to you both for your help.