1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WAD TCC LE pipe fails

Discussion in 'TCC/LE Support' started by rdefulio, Apr 8, 2013.

1. rdefulio

I've been running into this problem since I upgraded from 4nt v3.0.0B to to TCC LE v13.05.69

When piping output I've found that doing two or more pipes in-line gives a bogus error, see below.

[C:\Users\ron]ver

TCC LE 13.05.69 Windows 7 [Version 6.1.7601]
    [C:\Users\ron]dir | head -3

Volume in drive C is OS Serial number is 0e81:40ab
    Directory of C:\Users\ron\*

[C:\Users\ron]dir | wc -l

[C:\Users\ron]dir | head -3 | wc -l
    TCC: (Sys) The system cannot find the file specified.
    "C:\Apps\utils\TCC.EXE"

As you can see, individually I can pipe the output to 'head' or 'wc' (both are cygwin utilities), but if I try to pipe the output more than once, it fails with a bogus error.

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks

2. Charles Dye

Charles Dye Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I have no problem with multiple pipes here; but I'm not using the CygWin utilities. Can you replicate your issue using ye olde FIND filter?

Code:
    dir | find "bytes" | find "bytes"

You should probably also post your TCSTART.BTM, if you have one.

3. rdefulio

Thanks for the quick response.. same problem with 'find'. Just to be sure I confirmed it was the windows find and not some cygwin utility.

Code:
    [C:\Users\ron]which find
    find is an external : C:\Windows\system32\find.exe

[C:\Users\ron]dir | find "bytes" | find "bytes"
    TCC: (Sys) The system cannot find the file specified.
     "C:\Apps\utils\TCC.EXE"

I don't have a TCSTART.BTM but you got me thinking that maybe there is some nuance about the way I have TCC LE installed that is breaking the pipe. I have all the TCC LE binaries (exe, dlls, etc) copied into a utility folder, which I deploy directly onto computers I am administering without having to do a full blown TCC LE from the installer. I copy all the files off of a memory stick into c:\apps\utils, and add that folder directly to the system path. I wonder if the double-pipe is dependent on registry setting I do not have since I did not do a real install of TCC.

I'm going to re-test on a clean machine with properly installed copy of TCC LE and see if the problem goes away. Unless you happen to have set of no-install-needed "run from a memory stick" instructions I should be looking at?

Thanks

Ron

4. rdefulio

Confirmed that if I install TCC LE properly, the pipe|pipe works as expected. Dumping tcc.exe and *.dll from c:\program files(x86)\jpsoft\tccle13 into a utility folder on another PC must be the issue. I was getting away with it until now.

5. Charles Dye

Charles Dye Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I still can't reproduce this, even running the current TCC/LE from a flash stick on a brand-new, virgin reimaged PC. You might try updating to the current version 13.06.75....

6. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

Simply copying files is definitely not going to work; there are several (critical) things the installer is doing besides copying files.

You should also ensure that your system COMSPEC is set correctly.

7. vefatica

What's "correct" for COMSPEC? I leave it set to the default (cmd.exe) relying on the fact that each TCC sets it to itself. I haven't run into any problems.