Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Copy Paste Run

Aug
Hi,
I am using;

Code:
TCC  13.03.49   Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
TCC Build 49   Windows XP Build 2600  Service Pack 3

In a Take Command Tab, when I highlight text, right click, and then select Copy+Paste+Run, the highlighted text is copied, pasted, and run. No problem.

The text that has just been copied, however, is not on the clipboard.

In order to get the highlighted text onto the clipboard, I have to re-highlight the text, right click, and then select Copy.

Is there a reason that the highlighted text cannot be copied to the clipboard when selecting Copy+Paste+Run?

Joe

(2) users complained that it was destroying whatever they already had in the clipboard (which was usually of more importance).
Then those users are idiots who need to remember that the way copy works is to overwrite the clipboard. Unless you are running some clipboard enhancement utility like ArsClip, Ditto, or AceText, you have no reason to expect that your clipboard is safe from COPY "destroying" its contents.

If that menu item were renamed to something like "Run selection", it would no longer imply that the clipboard is involved, with the added benefit of moving the hotkey to the start of the name.

Those menu items don't say anything about using the clipboard. And if you look at the help, you'll see that only Copy, Paste, and Paste+Run mention the clipboard.

I don't see that anything is to be gained by destroying the clipboard contents given that 99.9% of the time you're not going to want whatever you selected for copy+paste or copy+paste+run to be be saved in the clipboard. (Note that only one person has even noticed it that it wasn't saved to the clipboard over the past 4 years -- versus the several dozen that complained in the early TCI versions.)

If that menu item were renamed to something like "Run selection", it would no longer imply that the clipboard is involved, with the added benefit of moving the hotkey to the start of the name.
I would follow Charles, because everyone associates copy/paste with the clipboard. But if it doesn't touch the clipboard I would also prefer "something like "Run selection"".

I *much* prefer the way it is currently implemented. I'm with Rex on this one. Whether you choose to change the verbage or not is secondary and I don't have a strong opinion either way.

I *much* prefer the way it is currently implemented. I'm with Rex on this one. Whether you choose to change the verbage or not is secondary and I don't have a strong opinion either way.

Those menu items don't say anything about using the clipboard. And if you look at the help, you'll see that only Copy, Paste, and Paste+Run mention the clipboard.

I've read the Help before, but never noticed that the omission of the word "clipboard" was significant. The word "copy" generally implies clipboard unless explicitly stated otherwise.

only one person has even noticed it that it wasn't saved to the clipboard over the past 4 years
Well, only one person has felt moved to complain about the behaviour - I'm sure that many of us have noticed it and just accepted it as the product working one way and our brains anticipating something else. FWIW I'm with the 'leave it the way it is' crowd and would probably be mighty confused by a change to the menu text associated with the action, even though I probably get tripped up by this once or twice a month (naively expecting the text to be on the clipboard when I know from past experience that it won't be).

I've read the Help before, but never noticed that the omission of the word "clipboard" was significant. The word "copy" generally implies clipboard unless explicitly stated otherwise.
Can you think of a better word/phrase to describe what is being done?

Technically the "+run" isn't quite accurate either, it just appends an extra CR, no?