Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Documentation on TCMD.INI

Aug
Hi folks,

Can someone point me to where I can find documentation of all available settings that are available via the file TCMD.INI?

Thanks,

-- George

We only support changing most settings through the OPTION dialog. (The exception being a few advanced / special purpose / debugging directives that are documented in the help.)

The reason for this is that when we *did* document all of the settings (a few years ago now), easily 90% of our support issues were with users mangling their INI files. (Putting directives in the wrong section, misspelling them, inventing imaginary values, etc.) With OPTION handling all of that now, it's more like 1%.

Except there's no OPTION dialog in TCC-RT, and dancing between machines with and without TCC is least entertaining.

Except there's no OPTION dialog in TCC-RT, and dancing between machines with and without TCC is least entertaining.

If you're relying on a custom TCMD.INI configuration (which doesn't seem reasonable for most TCC-RT usage), you should be configuring it on a Take Command / TCC / CMDebug system & distributing it with the batch file.

TCC-RT is not intended as a stand-alone development environment. And since there's no help file distributed with TCC-RT, documenting TCMD.INI directives for the benefit of TCC-RT seems pointless.

You can run tcc and tcc-rt on the same box. In the time when I was running tcc-rt, I had a separate verb in registry for it, and ran it from that. [The time in question was when both tcc and win7 were playing up. Both issues are resolved]

You could start tcc from the tcc-rt startup files and configure it there. I used the same trick to configure Windows 3.1 runtime from Win31.

@rconn, I understand you want to reduce support calls, but then tell me how do I set the following from OPTION dialog:

1) DIR output color coding based on file extension. I use "ColorDir" setting in the from TCMD.INI for it.
2) All settings under "[Font]" ini the file TCMD.INI
3) And there are dozens and dozens under "[TakeCommand]" and "[4NT]".

Those used to be documented in the older versions (I have been a 4NT user since early 1990's).

Is there a complete list of those initialization directives which cannot be set using the options dialog? There's "Advanced Directives" but I don't know how complete it is. "EscResetHistory", for example, isn't mentioned anywhere except in "What's new".

Is there a complete list of those initialization directives which cannot be set using the options dialog? There's "Advanced Directives" but I don't know how complete it is. "EscResetHistory", for example, isn't mentioned anywhere except in "What's new".

The only directives that are not either settable in OPTION or documented under the Advanced topic in the help are the custom directives that were done for individual customers. EscResetHistory, for example, was only wanted by one user.

The only directives that are not either settable in OPTION or documented under the Advanced topic in the help are the custom directives that were done for individual customers. EscResetHistory, for example, was only wanted by one user.
Thanks again for that. I'm pleasantly surprised by it every day. Do you really suppose that no one else would be interested in that setting? I asked for advantages of the default behavior (no reset) and, if I recall correctly, got none. For any setting, it's hard to believe that only ONE user would prefer it.