Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

IDE: Ctrl-W is a Harakiri Command !

Sep
it wipes my work away in a single moment - without any question !
I would press Ctrl-S, but hit the W, and - voila ! - all the tabs was gone,
without saving of course !
In version 18 it still worked as expected, but not more in later versions.
Has nobody noticed that so far ?

Here, Ctrl-W is mapped (in TCC) to AliasExpand and it works.

Here, Ctrl-W is mapped (in TCC) to AliasExpand and it works.
Sorry, Vince, I meant Ctrl-W in the IDE, not in the Commandline
:mad:

The manual says:
1568062751179.png

This is not the case.

BTW: Can You declare (for a foreigner) what does this mean: WAD ?

WAD = Working as designed (and not necessarily working as desired).

I tried Ctrl-W after modifying a file. The file was closed with no prompt to save the changes. The same holds for File\CloseAll.

I've recently discovered by accident the magic that is CTRL-W in other applications.

"WAIT! WHERE DID MY APPLICATION GO!?!"

@AnrDaemon: FACK :-)
"Self-respecting applications" - a good point :cool:
In all applications, e.g. browsers, editors, readers etc. that I used 'til today, the ^W meant the "close current tab/window" with an eventually prompt. Ctrl-Q for Close All - With Prompt ! - is a good suggestion :smile:

Last edited:
Right click on the menu, select "customize", and use whatever keystrokes you want.
Whatever keys you assign to it, it doesn't prompt to save changes (and changes are not saved). TCEDIT has the same problem.

Whatever keys you assign to it, it doesn't prompt to save changes (and changes are not saved). TCEDIT has the same problem.

It doesn't prompt because you have to click on "Assign" to make the change. And if you've done that, what's the point of prompting you again?

If I do an "Assign", I can close the IDE & reopen it and the key assignments are maintained.

I mean File\CloseAll, however you get to it, doesn't prompt to save dirty files; it just closes them. It's the same in TCEDIT.

In the IDE, Ctrl-W maps to "Close All", so this is WAD.
Thanks for this hint Rex.
I've never used this feature in the past, but I think it's very helpful :smile:
I've reassigned the Ctrl-W to Close and Ctrl-Q to DestroyCloseAll :cool:
But the point is, the FIle\CloseAll is defined as anything close with eventual
prompt (if I take the manual as a basis here).
Now that's your "Design", isn't it ?

Ahemm ...BTW: Your "Localizers" aren't complete, as You can see in the screenshot:
1568194241090.png

I'll let Microsoft know; it's their dialog.
Amm ...Microsoft ? I meant the dialog itself, it's talking english to me !
In TCMD v18 it's look like

1568215289677.png

I just tried setting the language to German in the TCMD configuration dialog, and it displays that dialog in German.
Yes, I can confirm that here, but the IDE is completely unimpressed :cool:
And: This setting (for the internal dialogs ?) works only for the current session.
At the next start of TCx the "Default" is set again.

I just tried setting the language to German in the TCMD configuration dialog, and it displays that dialog in German.
Here NOT (build v25.00.17). It changes the general IDE menu text related to the language and for ex. the command names but NEVER the menu dialog language itself (it remains always in english).

BTW: the following dialog is also "affected":

Anmerkung 2019-09-13 005704.png

PS: Maybe it has to do with my "special" german Windows OS language (v10 Home x64), which is set to Swiss German.

Last edited:
Yes, I can confirm that here, but the IDE is completely unimpressed :cool:
And: This setting (for the internal dialogs ?) works only for the current session.
At the next start of TCx the "Default" is set again.

The IDE gets its settings from TCC, so you need to change the language in the TCC OPTION dialog.

If your settings aren't being saved, then you've got something blocking TCMD / TCC from updating the TCMD.INI file.

The IDE gets its settings from TCC, so you need to change the language in the TCC OPTION dialog.

If your settings aren't being saved, then you've got something blocking TCMD / TCC from updating the TCMD.INI file.
You are right, TCMD.INI was blocked by 4 or 5 not visible instances of TCC.EXE ????
After I've removed them, I could change the INI by the TCC OPTION dialog.
But nevertheless, the IDE still show this dialog in english

1568367979445.png

Just to make it clear: I HAD changed the in TCC options AND for testing even also in TCMD ... TCC language change had the effect I described above (for ex. I SAW espanol menu text in IDE after switching to espanol in TCC options ...) however: the discussed IDE dialog remains always in english.

See here:

Anmerkung 2019-09-13 180633.png