multiple monitor 'help'

Apr 4, 2010
57
0
#1
Hi,

Just firing up my TC, and in the console window, typed 'help' to see what I could see. The help screen that popped up spanned all three of my monitors!
I minimized it, at which point it took up the whole of one monitor which is OK I guess, but it seems rather non-standard. Is this a settup thing?
 
#2
On Wed, 12 May 2010 22:29:43 -0400, rayandrews <> wrote:

|Just firing up my TC, and in the console window, typed 'help' to see what I could see. The help screen that popped up spanned all three of my monitors!
|I minimized it, at which point it took up the whole of one monitor which is OK I guess, but it seems rather non-standard. Is this a settup thing?

That's odd. Whenever I use a new version's help for the first time, it's tiny,
about 1/8 of one monitor's real estate. If you position and size it, those
settings should be remembered.
--
- Vince
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
10,499
94
#3
> Just firing up my TC, and in the console window, typed 'help' to see
> what I could see. The help screen that popped up spanned all three of
> my monitors!
> I minimized it, at which point it took up the whole of one monitor
> which is OK I guess, but it seems rather non-standard. Is this a
> settup thing?
It's a Windows Help issue, not TCMD. If you resize it, Windows should
remember and use that size for future help windows.

Rex Conn
JP Software
 

Charles Dye

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 20, 2008
3,575
46
Albuquerque, NM
prospero.unm.edu
#4
Hi,

Just firing up my TC, and in the console window, typed 'help' to see what I could see. The help screen that popped up spanned all three of my monitors!
On my system, a normal ('restored') window can be resized to fill more than one monitor, but that definitely is not the default condition. I suspect that you have encountered an odd 'feature' of your video driver.

I minimized it, at which point it took up the whole of one monitor which is OK I guess, but it seems rather non-standard. Is this a settup thing?
A minimized window shouldn't occupy any screen space, except on the task bar! Did you mean 'maximized'? A maximized window should fill one monitor.
 
Apr 4, 2010
57
0
#5
On my system, a normal ('restored') window can be resized to fill more than one monitor, but that definitely is not the default condition. I suspect that you have encountered an odd 'feature' of your video driver.



A minimized window shouldn't occupy any screen space, except on the task bar! Did you mean 'maximized'? A maximized window should fill one monitor.
Ummm, the toggle that maximizes <> smallerizes the window.
Yup, if I resize it, it's remembered, so it's not a big issue, but still, this is the first windows app I've ever seen on my computer or any other that spans more than one monitor while maximized. I'd guess that some trivial default setting in TC might need to be changed. Note that the TC main window behaves 'normaly' in this regard, it's just the help window that misbehaves, so I doubt it's anything with my video card.
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
10,499
94
#6
> Ummm, the toggle that maximizes <> smallerizes the window.
> Yup, if I resize it, it's remembered, so it's not a big issue, but
> still, this is the first windows app I've ever seen on my computer or
> any other that spans more than one monitor while maximized. I'd guess
> that some trivial default setting in TC might need to be changed. Note
> that the TC main window behaves 'normaly' in this regard, it's just the
> help window that misbehaves, so I doubt it's anything with my video
> card.
As I said, it's nothing to do with Take Command; it's Windows Help. Resize
it and Windows will remember it for future invocations.

Rex Conn
JP Software
 
Apr 4, 2010
57
0
#7
As I said, it's nothing to do with Take Command; it's Windows Help. Resize
it and Windows will remember it for future invocations.

Rex Conn
JP Software

If you say so Rex, but I've never seen any Windows Help do this before, and it doesn't look anything like 'Windows' Help, it looks like TC Help -- but it's fine now that it's been resized, thus not worth further mention. Otherwise, so far, so good.
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
10,499
94
#8
> If you say so Rex, but I've never seen any Windows Help do this before,
> and it doesn't look anything like 'Windows' Help, it looks like TC Help
> -- but it's fine now that it's been resized, thus not worth further
> mention. Otherwise, so far, so good.
There's no such thing as "TC Help" -- the TC help window is being executed
by Windows Help; TC just asks Windows Help to open a different .chm file.
(And Windows Help will maintain a window size and location for each .chm
file.)

Rex Conn
JP Software