1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

v.exe and everything.exe

Discussion in 'Support' started by w_krieger, Feb 15, 2017.

1. w_krieger

I'm trying to get around tcc installing these.

I have a registered version of 'v', which has the start menu etc, and of everything, i'm trying to run all copies through a download.

At the moment, tcc takes redirected calls to both v.exe and everything.

Is there some sort of fix or ini-trick to tell tcmd to use a different version of v and everything?

thanks. w

2. Christian Albaret

You can at least do this with an alias. I believe you can also disable internal commands — but I don't TCMD at hand now, I can't check how to do it.

3. MaartenG

Not tested (don't have a seperate "V" or "everything"), but does this work for you?

• Rename , move or delete everything.exe and v.exe from the TCMD program folder (*)
    • setdos /i-everything
    • setdos /i-view

(*) depending on your version of Take Command there is or is not a check for everything.dll at startup. 20.00.25 does check; 20.11.39 does not)

4. w_krieger

At the moment, everything is working from a loader made from write.exe, which uses apppaths v is also working, i replaced the v in the tcc directory with the write.exe-version, which goes through apppath to the off-path v directory.

The version of tcc is 20.11.40 on Windows 6.10.7601 (sp1 32b). v is 15.sr3 and everything is Version 1.4.1.809b (x86) from tcc

The process is that i'm trying to avoid dll-hell, by first using loaders for these programs (tcc and tc each have one too). Because there are lots of places to configure, i usually just change the apppath, and rely on write.exe to pass the params correctly.

5. MaartenG

There is another option you might consider:

In Windows you can force a DLL to be searched first in the directory of the executable.
    Example: You have a "V.exe" in "c:\program files\V". Create a dummy file "V.exe.Local" (contents don't matter, might be 0 bytes) in the same folder.
    Now V.exe will load V.dll locally from the V-folder, regardless if the current working directory (c:\Program Files\Take Command for example) also has a V.dll.

It has been a few years since I used this for the last time, but it does work on at least Windows 7 (first time I used it was Windows NT4, IIRC).

Another thing I noticed: didn't work for all DLL's ( I guessed that was Windows, trying to keep itself "healthy" / uncorrupted ), but it might be worth the try...