Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Weird Color Problem

Dec
I'm probably doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what it is.

Installed the latest version of TCC 28 and started noticing that when I type the following command, or put it in a batch file:
cls bri whi on [color]

It works exactly as expected when I use any of the available colors

Except for this one:
cls bri whi on blu
Which gives me white text on black background instead of blue

Also, I have at least one batch file which uses 'cls bri whi on blu' and it works correctly, while others give me white text on a black background instead of blue.

Weird.

Is this in a Take Command tab window, or in a standalone console window?

Standalone TCC console window.

cls bri whi on red
cls bri whi on gre
cls bri whi on yel
....etc

All work exactly as expected.

cls bri whi on blu - white text on black background instead of blue.

Have you checked your console palette?

Alt-space, P to open the 'Properties' dialog, then select the 'Colors' tab. About a third of the way down, there's a strip of 16 color boxes. The second one ought to be dark blue, but may have been changed.

Have you checked your console palette?

Alt-space, P to open the 'Properties' dialog, then select the 'Colors' tab. About a third of the way down, there's a strip of 16 color boxes. The second one ought to be dark blue, but may have been changed.
OK. Tried it. Looks OK.

Update: I tried the following:

Open TCC console window
cls bri whi on bri blu (works properly)
cls bri whi on blu (now works properly)

Close TCC console window

Open new TCC console window
cls bri whi on blu (works properly)

So, apparently ........ I "fixed" it ??

Aren't computers fun.

Update #2

Tried a couple of other batch files that I have sitting around.

cls bri whi on blu
cls bri yel on blu

- results in black background, not blue.

%#$@!!

Um. Are you, perhaps, using a separate shortcut to start these batch files?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "separate shortcut". I don't run TCC by navigating to the program directory and clicking on the .exe file. I click on a batch file, which launches TCC and executes the batch file. Or, I right click on a directory and select "TCC Prompt Here" which opens a TCC console window in the directory so I can do whatever.

Anyway, after playing around more with backups, here is what I found:

Reverted my computer to a backup that was running TCC 28.00.11 x64 and it works exactly as expected. cls bri whi on blue results in white text on a blue background.

Although it is still possible that there is some weird mis-configuration on my end, it does appear that somewhere between 28.00.11 and the current version, a small bug was introduced.

This is purely a minor cosmetic issue and it does not affect the actual operation of the program in any way. This is not a complaint. Just a bug report.

>>"This is most likely a console configuration issue (i.e., using the new vs. legacy console, or ANSI / non-ANSI)."

That's the thing -- I haven't changed anything. Everything stayed the same and the only thing that changed was I installed a newer version of TCC.

Oh well. Not a big deal. For many years I used white text on blue background as my standard for everything. Now I have switched to green on black. Reminds me of my first computer in the 80s that had a monochrome monitor.

Try this:
1. Close all console windows (even those you don't know about, like GIMP or VS Code).
2. Open registry editor and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console
3. Remove any subkeys that look like paths.
4. Close and relog (or simply reboot).

If you start your batch files from a desktop shortcut (the .lnk file), there could be a separate issue, as those store color palette separately.